Releasing crickets in cage?

Rex561

So I am a little skeptic on releasing crickets in the enclosure that I keep my veiled chameleon. I read about how someone released crickets in the cage and one of them bit it's eye and it got infected. They left the crickets in the cage (overnight I believe) and when they came back, the chameleon was being eaten. I read about feeder cups and have one (but only for superworms). I also read that they can make your chameleon lazy by actually eating from the cup and barely use their tounge. Someone also told me that chameleons love the hunt for their prey... So I'm just wondering what people in these forums do during feeding. Thanks :)

Personally I only do free range food. Crickets that are constantly moving all around trigger feeding like it would in the wild. I know of lots of people that feed from cups and I'm sure they have healthy animals but I would think they would eat considerably less because of lack of natural stimulation.
Crickets like to stick to the top part of the screen for the most part. I really don't ever see any crawling all over my animals. That pretty much only happens right after I throw in a bunch but they quickly find a wall of the cage and pretty much stay on the screen until they get picked off one by one.
Some won't even eat from a cup.

Personally I only do free range food. Crickets that are constantly moving all around trigger feeding like it would in the wild. I know of lots of people that feed from cups and I'm sure they have healthy animals but I would think they would eat considerably less because of lack of natural stimulation.
Crickets like to stick to the top part of the screen for the most part. I really don't ever see any crawling all over my animals. That pretty much only happens right after I throw in a bunch but they quickly find a wall of the cage and pretty much stay on the screen until they get picked off one by one.
Some won't even eat from a cup.
I would put them on the screen near him and let them run for a little and if he doesn't see it I catch the cricket then do it again. How much do you put in the cage at a time? Mine is five months old, how much would you recommend me putting in at one time? Also thanks for your response :)

So I am a little skeptic on releasing crickets in the enclosure that I keep my veiled chameleon. I read about how someone released crickets in the cage and one of them bit it's eye and it got infected. They left the crickets in the cage (overnight I believe) and when they came back, the chameleon was being eaten. I read about feeder cups and have one (but only for superworms). I also read that they can make your chameleon lazy by actually eating from the cup and barely use their tongue. Someone also told me that chameleons love the hunt for their prey... So I'm just wondering what people in these forums do during feeding. Thanks :)

I use a feeder trough. Crickets will hide and get into corners and eventually die and rot in an enclosure. Even with a cup or trough some do get out and I clean every day in the evening and remove any live and dead feeders. I just made him a new one this evening in fact. Here's a picture of the prototype I made several month or so ago, my little cham was viewing the selection before eating. Man has he grown since then!

full

I've never seen or heard of crickets eating a cham....

How does a feeder cup or trough make them lazy? They still shoot their food with their tongue. My Sherman gets them from various distances. Chameleons don't love or prefer anything. They probably are creatures of opportunity. In the wild if they came across a bunch of crickets in one area they wouldn't snub their nose at it to go hunt one somewhere's else. The few that get out of the feeder trough and stay in the area get "hunted" and eaten. Feeder cups also make it easier to monitor feeding and eating habits.

I use a feeder trough. Crickets will hide and get into corners and eventually die and rot in an enclosure. Even with a cup or trough some do get out and I clean every day in the evening and remove any live and dead feeders. I just made him a new one this evening in fact. Here's a picture of the prototype I made several month or so ago, my little cham was viewing the selection before eating. Man has he grown since then!

full

I've never seen or heard of crickets eating a cham....

How does a feeder cup or trough make them lazy? They still shoot their food with their tongue. My Sherman gets them from various distances. Chameleons don't love or prefer anything. They probably are creatures of opportunity. In the wild if they came across a bunch of crickets in one area they wouldn't snub their nose at it to go hunt one somewhere's else. The few that get out of the feeder trough and stay in the area get "hunted" and eaten. Feeder cups also make it easier to monitor feeding and eating habits.
I read that they get lazy because the feeder cup is in the same area everyday and they would just stick their head in there and basically not use their tongue. However I may start using a feeder cup. Thanks :)

I recommend cup feeding or hand feeding. To me free range feeding is too risky. I've always worried my guys might damage their tongue free ranging their food. I've even seen cases on here where the tongue gets wrapped around a branch and the cham rips his tongue out. I have also seen pictures on here where crickets eat on the cham when left in the cage over night. I do however free range my chameleons so they get tons of exercise not being cages.

Mine's about the same age and the way I feed him is kinda both. I have a lil feeder cup that I put a good bunch (10) in most he catches on the spot and some get out those I just let him look around for while I head off to work. When I check on him on my lunch break they're all usually gone so I'm guessing he hunted them down.

I have personally seen my cham get his tongue stuck to things, but luckily no damage. The free ranging definitely seems to stimulate them some and i recommend it, but i usually do a few bugs out and a few in the cup, mine prefer the free range to the cup. I also hand feed a lot. I read that it is good practice to set a day a week to free range, i think in general VARIETY in every sense is the key. Also yes crickets do bite, but it is rare, if you're worried leave food in the cage for crickets at night.

I've always free ranged the insects...and I've always put food in the chameleons cage for the insects to eat so they won't bite the chameleon. I havent had any problems with it to speak of.

I cup feed in my indoor enclosure, I grew up feeding crickets, they always get out, and they're like cockroaches. As long as the weather is good, I free range in an outdoor enclosure. He knows there's always something roaming in the outdoor enclosure, it's fun to see him searching. Inside though, he goes strait for the cup. He knows they're there.

I've always free ranged the insects...and I've always put food in the chameleons cage for the insects to eat so they won't bite the chameleon. I havent had any problems with it to speak of.

Where to you place the food for the feeders? If you place it at the bottom, where my escapee crickets tend to wind up, they hang out there and unless the cham goes down there they will never get eaten.

I don't know enough about crickets to know if they search or smell food and will go to the food or if they just wander around until they find something to eat.

I started my two chams out using my hands so I could monitor what they ate and when. I also did it to gain their trust, or at least so they wouldn't be terrified of my hand....

Once I trusted that they were comfortable enough in their new home to eat on their own I bought them each one of these as a feeder cup. It has a roof to keep out most of the water so your feeder insects wont drown. The plastic is very slick so your feeders have a tough time getting out, except for the bigger crickets. When they do escape, I can see my chams go into instant blood thirsty predator mode, the big crickets are always hunted down first!

As far as feeders turning the tables on a cham, I'm sure freak accidents happen but, I feel like a lot of people on this site are a little over protective. I think this is mostly to the fact that most chams are considered members of the family and treated as such. They obviously love them and want the best for them, but remember these animals have been shaped by nature for God only knows how long to be tough and good at what they do.

...And look Broderp, it even comes with suction cups!....
upload_2017-5-8_13-22-7.png

I did put the food cups on the floor of the cage. The crickets did move around the cages though so it wasn't a problem.

I've always free ranged my crickets. As mentioned, crickets usually stay towards the top of the enclosure around the heat/light during the day. At night when the lights go out, they roam around the cage. I always leave a cream cheese lid full of gut load at the bottom of the enclosure and have never had as issue with crickets attacking my cham.

I usually hand feed them so the crickets don't get out and about. I
I started my two chams out using my hands so I could monitor what they ate and when. I also did it to gain their trust, or at least so they wouldn't be terrified of my hand....

Once I trusted that they were comfortable enough in their new home to eat on their own I bought them each one of these as a feeder cup. It has a roof to keep out most of the water so your feeder insects wont drown. The plastic is very slick so your feeders have a tough time getting out, except for the bigger crickets. When they do escape, I can see my chams go into instant blood thirsty predator mode, the big crickets are always hunted down first!

As far as feeders turning the tables on a cham, I'm sure freak accidents happen but, I feel like a lot of people on this site are a little over protective. I think this is mostly to the fact that most chams are considered members of the family and treated as such. They obviously love them and want the best for them, but remember these animals have been shaped by nature for God only knows how long to be tough and good at what they do.

...And look Broderp, it even comes with suction cups!....
View attachment 181754
I keep my chameleon in a mesh enclosure, just wondering how can I modify it to attach to mesh?

I've used a Dixie cup for about a year now. You do have to keep it out of the misters aim though. I keep it higher in the enclosure, and my cham has no problem snapping them up.

you can if you want. but be sure to watch careully or take a couple looks every once in awhile to make sure non of them are nibbling on your cham. it can especially hurt their eyes

I usually hand feed them so the crickets don't get out and about. I

I keep my chameleon in a mesh enclosure, just wondering how can I modify it to attach to mesh?

I too have a Screen RepiBreeze enclosure for Sydney my veiled chameleon. I used a very fine filament fishing line and tie any items such as some of the Vines I have in her home. She has grown 10x the size of when I got her a moth ago (She shed twice already)
What I like about the clear fishing line is I secure a knot on outside of cage, that way there is nothing that she could get poked with or caught up in accidentally.

Back
Top Bottom