Rehabing cham!

Thatcher

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hey guys! when I got back from camp today there was a voicemail on my phone from my local pet store! They told me that they had heard of a chameleon who was seized by animal control because of an animal abuser situation. The owner asked me if i could help out at all, I obviously said yes and my mom agreed! I have an enclosure set up for it and im expecting it by monday, I have no idea of the condition of the animal or the type of chameleon, so I'm using veiled safe plants and making it safe for whatever it could be. I am going to schedule a checkup if needed when I get it and then get it back to health and hopefully find a new owner on here or sell it at the store! Im exitied and nervous but I thought id share the adventure since you guys have helped me through the last year or more of my life!

UPDATES + PICS

COMING SOON

Very nice that you're going to help this poor chameleon!

I would quarantine it away from your other chameleon for a few weeks until you can check it out to make sure it's not going to pass anything on to the chameleon you already have.
Make sure you wash your hands well and don't use "tools" or equipment for both so you won't pass any bacteria, parasites, etc between your new one and the one you have.

Good luck!

IMG_20220710_090359083.jpg
enclosure so far

T5 10.0 bulb soon to be changed to 5.0 and main plant soon to be introduced+ more sticks and other stuff

Please prepare yourself mentally for a very sick chameleon as well.... I would do a vet check up no matter what including a fecal. Do not cross contaminate anything from one cage to another and make sure you are washing your hands in between everything.
of course I'm going to do everything I can!

im going to raise the uvb 5 inches from the top of the cage and have the basking branch 5 inches below the top of the cage to create a 3.0 reading on the branch

im going to raise the uvb 5 inches from the top of the cage and have the basking branch 5 inches below the top of the cage to create a 3.0 reading on the branch
huh.... I thought you said you were getting the 5.0 bulb? Even with a 10.0 you have to have 11-12 full inches between the bottom of the fixture and the branch. If this is an adult Veiled with casque you do not want it that close to the screen. You do not want to deal with issues of casque damage. And a heat fixture on the screen at a 5 inch distance poses extreme thermal burn risk so you need to raise that up a good 5 inches.

huh.... I thought you said you were getting the 5.0 bulb? Even with a 10.0 you have to have 11-12 full inches between the bottom of the fixture and the branch. If this is an adult Veiled with casque you do not want it that close to the screen. You do not want to deal with issues of casque damage. And a heat fixture on the screen at a 5 inch distance poses extreme thermal burn risk so you need to raise that up a good 5 inches.
Yeah I'm raising the heat bulb too so instead of 10 inches the uvb should be raised 11-12?

Yeah I'm raising the heat bulb too so instead of 10 inches the uvb should be raised 11-12?
Correct if you are using a T5HO single bulb fixture with a 10.0 bulb... You want to lift the fixture so it is 6-7 inches off the top from the bottom of fixture to the screen. Then you want the branch 5 inches below. This will put the cham in a 3 UVI level. So your total distance from branch to bottom of fixture is 11-12 inches and with this amount raised off the screen if it screen climbs it will still be in a safe 6 UVI level at the screen.

Correct if you are using a T5HO single bulb fixture with a 10.0 bulb... You want to lift the fixture so it is 6-7 inches off the top from the bottom of fixture to the screen. Then you want the branch 5 inches below. This will put the cham in a 3 UVI level. So your total distance from branch to bottom of fixture is 11-12 inches and with this amount raised off the screen if it screen climbs it will still be in a safe 6 UVI level at the screen.
Ok cool thanks

Back
Top Bottom