Regarding Water.

dmG

As I look around, I find that there's a large amount of hand misting going on.
In regards, what water source should I be using for my upcoming baby?
I'm presuming tap-water is a no-no? And what temperature of water should I be misting with?

From what I read here, it depends on where you live and what is in your tap water. Me personally, I won't even water the house plants with my tap water, it tastes that bad.
So I buy r/o from the water store....yes, California is silly enough to have water stores!.
I use a dripper, mister, and I hand mist with warm water. But that's just me.

Well I'm in canada; mississauga to be specific.
The tap-water in my opinion is decent, but I'm still not too sure.
I'll probably invest in a water filter.
I don't play on using a mister much because watering by hand will just mean I get to bond with the damn guy. :D

Last edited:
Whether or not to filter/buy water depends on your water quality where you live. If you're not sure, a water filter won't hurt and wouldn't be a waste or anything since you can also use it for yourself :)

Usually I use room temp. water because I'm getting a mist system and I don't want to spoil my cham but when I use warm/hot water (it comes out of the mister lukewarm. test it on yourself first) she will stand right under the mist and drink. otherwise she goes and hides under a leaf and licks the water off it and gets MAD if she is sprayed directly. So if you're going to be hand misting your little guy will probably like it warm.

One last question, a bit off topic, regarding lighting.
Should I be leaving the UVB and basking light for the day, then turning off the lights at night with the addition of a purple/blue night bulb? Or should I be leaving one of the basking or UVB running 24/7?

what sontiger said and as long the night temps is not below 65, chams will do fine

Well, during winter it's cold, but when I have everything ready, and the little guy comes in, I'll update you guys and ask necessary questions.
thanks guys :D

I live in California and I do tap water with my Mistking. I also use Aquasafe for reptiles and amphibians as a precaution but I have been giving them untreated tap water for over 4 months before that and I have healthy chams. I drink from the tap and water fountains all over so if its good for me, perhaps my chams can handle it.

I live in California and I do tap water with my Mistking. I also use Aquasafe for reptiles and amphibians as a precaution but I have been giving them untreated tap water for over 4 months before that and I have healthy chams. I drink from the tap and water fountains all over so if its good for me, perhaps my chams can handle it.

I agree. All my animals drink tap water. I haven't had any problems. I'm in Riverside to boot. There are requirements for water you know people. Not everyone drinks bottled.

It depends on what's in your tap water and what you think it acceptable. I used tap water for years but recently the city began fluoridating water (thanks to a Stimulus grant) and I don't think fluoride is okay for chameleons. So, now, I distill water.

I know not everyone agrees with me on the fluoride thing, so I can't say "THIS IS TRUTH" but it's what I believe and it's' what I practice.

I think everyone needs to find that place for themselves.

It depends on what's in your tap water and what you think it acceptable. I used tap water for years but recently the city began fluoridating water (thanks to a Stimulus grant) and I don't think fluoride is okay for chameleons. So, now, I distill water.

I know not everyone agrees with me on the fluoride thing, so I can't say "THIS IS TRUTH" but it's what I believe and it's' what I practice.

I think everyone needs to find that place for themselves.

You're right. I guess it's just up to everyone's discretion. I have been reading around the forums about fluoride, but why would they put it in the water?

dmG..if you really need heat at night use a ceramic heat emitting "bulb" (I call it a bulb because it screws into a light fixture.)

Our tap water contains fluoride and I have used it for years for my chameleons without any apparent problems (they live long healthy lives as a rule). I let the water sit out over night to allow the chlorine to dissipate and for the water to warm up to room temperature.

Back
Top Bottom