Regal Jumping Spiders!!

chamcapture

These little spiders are AWESOME!! They are completely diurnal and hunt for insects by stalking and then jumping on top of them and killing them!:D Here are pics of my male and female fighting over a couple of silkworms! ENJOY!!

I love these little spiders. I find them outside in the spring and summer all the time. Its really fun to watch them hunt. You can feed them to your chameleons too.

I love these little spiders. I find them outside in the spring and summer all the time. Its really fun to watch them hunt. You can feed them to your chameleons too.

They are awesome!! Im not a huge fan of spiders but I do love the Jumping Spiders. Ill feed off any spider but not these just because I like them so much. Ill usually try and catch one if I see it, put it in a mason jar with screen on the lid, some sticks in the bottom and feed them some crix or anything else I find then let them go after a few days:D

I've had some lay eggs and hatch while I had them. I ended up feeding the babies to smaller chameleons which they absolutely loved.

They are awesome!! Im not a huge fan of spiders but I do love the Jumping Spiders. Ill feed off any spider but not these just because I like them so much. Ill usually try and catch one if I see it, put it in a mason jar with screen on the lid, some sticks in the bottom and feed them some crix or anything else I find then let them go after a few days:D

What kind of spiders do you feed off? I have a lot of false widows around here, but I don't know if those would be okay to feed to the chameleons (and I wont feed off the black widows.)

What kind of spiders do you feed off? I have a lot of false widows around here, but I don't know if those would be okay to feed to the chameleons (and I wont feed off the black widows.)

I feed wolf, crab, different orb weavers, wood louse spiders, etc etc. The only poisonous ones we have around here are Brown Recluse and Black Widows. I know of lots of reports of chams eating Black Widows but I stay away from them let alone trying to catch and feed. Anything else is fair game except for the cool jumping spiders. I just enjoy watching them too much.

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing. I could not even imagine feeding off spiders. I am not the most feminine lady but the true girl comes out in me when i see a spider of any kind. Not sure why but it may be my lack of knowledge on which ones are safe etc and not taking the time to identify, but regardless the meeting is typically not pretty :rolleyes:

I will say though that the large garden spider (not sure of the real name) I find intriguing. We have one or two each year move in to one of our azaleas. They are fascinating. As long as they give me my personal space we are good :D

Wood louse spiders?! Thise things have the craziest fangs. Any problems with biting the chameleons? Im sure they would love them since they are red, but I would be afraid of a miss/butt grab and then the spider would bite the tongue or mouth.

Wood louse spiders?! Thise things have the craziest fangs. Any problems with biting the chameleons? Im sure they would love them since they are red, but I would be afraid of a miss/butt grab and then the spider would bite the tongue or mouth.

Never had a problem. They do have a pretty nasty bite from what I have read. I had chams eat tons of wasps and other bees with no problems so spiders really dont worry me too much.

Back
Top Bottom