Reef Lights?

has anyone ever measured the UVB/UVA output of saltwater lights?(ie. 50/50's, 10,000K, reef lights, etc) any benifits they would ever have in herp keeping? specifically chameleons? or is it more-so a UVA output?

I've looked at some at petsmart in desperation. However the boxes don't say they output any UVB at all.

I think Aquatic lighting is more aimed at brightness and plant growth, since its to encourage plant growth I would assume there would be some UVB aswell since the aim is full spectrum lighting to mimic sunlight.
How much Uvb output they may produce, I dont really know, I kept reef fish years and years ago before I began with reptiles.
Most lighting produces uva to various extent.
If the spectrum produced is suitable for reptiles then why not, but with the range of reptile specific lighting avail and the improving tecknology, I'd stick to those types to benifit from improving quality.

If there compact they will burn there little eyes maybe some of the t-10 or t-12 vho's might work but I would stick with the repti-sun 5.0(first choice) or A repti-glow 5.0. I have 2 reef tanks one is A nano reef with 9watt coral life 50/50 bulbs.Two years ago I had A clutch of 62 baby veileds I used the reef light over A few late hatchers untill my local pet shop got more bulbs. The reef lights dammaged there eyes.It was verry sad

Having had several coral tanks, may saltwater lights are there to mimic true sunlight. Corals need as to close to possible natural light to survive

I've read books on chameleons that suggested keeping them under metal halide lighting, which I think is outrageous. Sure, there's UVB output, but the intensity has to be killer on their eyes. As far as power compact or T5, I would doubt there's much UVB output. Different types of reef lights are just fluorescent bulbs of varying kelvin ratings... UVB would be very minimal, especially something like a 50/50 or actinic.

i figured this would be the case and agree with all of your answers. it wasn't an idea or desperation why i'd like to know, just interested i guess.

I think Aquatic lighting is more aimed at brightness and plant growth, since its to encourage plant growth I would assume there would be some UVB aswell since the aim is full spectrum lighting to mimic sunlight.
How much Uvb output they may produce, I dont really know, I kept reef fish years and years ago before I began with reptiles.
Most lighting produces uva to various extent.
If the spectrum produced is suitable for reptiles then why not, but with the range of reptile specific lighting avail and the improving tecknology, I'd stick to those types to benifit from improving quality.

this is exactly what i was thinking J.J. overall, it would could be more harmful due to eye problems and the intensity of the UVA spectrums, but if used correctly and monitored, could be much more benificial to the plants without harming the chameleon. i've been wanting to try something other than a 6500K daylight to try and better my plant growth

To keep my plants looking good I rotate them outside whenever possible. However Ive noticed that since I have gone to double fixtures with 6500k bulbs with built in reflectors. My plants have stayed inside longer periods without the need for outside time to recover. I believe the reflectors are helping to utilize the maximum benefit of the bulbs. I had never used any type of reflectors before as I hated the aluminum foil look on my fixures.

To keep my plants looking good I rotate them outside whenever possible. However Ive noticed that since I have gone to double fixtures with 6500k bulbs with built in reflectors. My plants have stayed inside longer periods without the need for outside time to recover. I believe the reflectors are helping to utilize the maximum benefit of the bulbs. I had never used any type of reflectors before as I hated the aluminum foil look on my fixures.

TPM, i've been needing to reflect my lights real bad lately. im running a dual fixture with 5.0 and 6500K, and my reflectors are just white. working on this job site before, my boss was using this really shinny aluminum duct tape that looked just like foil. would that be sufficient? ive used foil before and the shipping tape that was used to hold it to the fixture melted to my lights. it didnt damage them but left a real flakey mess on them. what do you suggest?

Back
Top Bottom