Redwood?

m1ndless

I found redwood posts 2x2x8' for $3 a piece at home depot, would these be suitable for building a wood frame for my enclosure?

I have never worked with redwood posts so I was not sure how well it would work.

Also, for connecting the pieces together, I assume angle irons or mending plates would work best?

IT depends on if its real red wood, or if its cedar that is stained red.

not sure how to tell the difference. i think as long as you finish it properly it will be acceptable.

It seems that HD or lowes doesnt sell much of anything wood wise. One thing you can do is call a planing mill and have them cut whatever size you want out of whatever wood you want and it should also be cheaper. 1x1 would seem to be the most reasonable. Sturdy yet not too heavy and also square so its easier to work with. Just my opinion;)

I was actually going to use 2x2 posts, since they are studier they should hold up better?

HD and Lowes bother have 4-5 different types of wood posts for the size I need, I am just trying to save money and the redwood are the cheapest.

Its not that they would eat its that they would touch the oils are toxic if u put alot of clear coat over it might be alright but idk

I think 1x1 is too small. 2x2 actually measures like 1 5/8 x 1 5/8. just use a good sealer and let it dry/air out completely before you use it. Keep in mind, this time of year, EVERYTHING takes much longer to dry/cure thoroughly.

S

I think 1x1 is too small. 2x2 actually measures like 1 5/8 x 1 5/8. just use a good sealer and let it dry/air out completely before you use it. Keep in mind, this time of year, EVERYTHING takes much longer to dry/cure thoroughly.

S

1x1 is to small if you are talking about what is precut for places like lowes. If you tell the planing mill that you want a 1x1 that is what you get and is by far not to small. It is very easy to work with and if you know what you are doing is very very sturdy not to mention light weight.

Back
Top Bottom