Reducing Food and Supplements

Amberbluefrog

Established Member
Happy New Year! Thank you to everyone who has helped me these past few days. Yoshi is doing great in his new home. Poops are looking good, he has some new branches on standby, and we just bought some new plants to add into the enclosure after they grow out a bit more.

Yoshi is 6 months old, so I understand that food cutbacks will be happening as he gets older. I found an old post from Beman who commented their feeding amounts (attached) which I’m going to follow. My question is when we start skipping days what does dusting supplements look like? I assume Cal w/o D3 on every feeding day, but one day a week with the multivitamin w/ D3?
Also, does anyone have a good hydrometer recommendation?
Thanks!
9FC82420-B638-4E13-B114-B3D0764CF973.jpeg

Attachments

• E105A20E-F4AE-4F40-9C60-D71EA5AB5202.png
    E105A20E-F4AE-4F40-9C60-D71EA5AB5202.png
    266.7 KB · Views: 76
Panthers aren't like veileds, they don't eat anything like them IME. You should not cut back food on a panther until 9 months at least and in most cases you will find they don't overeat. All of mine as adults would only eat once or twice a week. So when they're hungry as juevenile, feed them! They need it.

There are some* adult panthers that will overeat, so to be safe after 12 months don't offer food anymore than every other day or every 3 days, but usually it's not a problem.

Realized I didn't answer the supplementing... If you feed twice a week, one feed could be regular calcium, one could be your d3 or multivitamin/retinol vitamin A and just keep alternating that. It doesn't have to be super specific.

You need to be more particular with females than males in veileds and panthers because over feeding them can lead to them producing large clutches and developing MBD, prolapsing, eggbinding and follicular stasis.

Panthers aren't like veileds, they don't eat anything like them IME. You should not cut back food on a panther until 9 months at least and in most cases you will find they don't overeat. All of mine as adults would only eat once or twice a week. So when they're hungry as juevenile, feed them! They need it.

There are some* adult panthers that will overeat, so to be safe after 12 months don't offer food anymore than every other day or every 3 days, but usually it's not a problem.
I didn’t realize that post was for Veiled, thanks for catching my error!

I will defer to others like James here as I have not had a young panther that I have reduced feedings on only Veileds. And yes they are different from a veiled because Panthers don't have this drive to eat or die built in. Veileds have to eat to grow and start reproducing this in the wild is all happening within a 9 month period before the dry season hits and they start to die off.

This is what Bill Strand recommends for a Panther. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/care-sheet-Panther-Chameleon-022020.pdf
6 months he switches to every other day of 5 feeders. Then at a year old that amount drops to 3 feeders every other day.

Honestly there are a lot of ways to do it... Even with my Veileds I weigh them to make sure they are still making gradual gains. IME what works for one does not work for another because growth rates and genetics are different. I adjust accordingly.

I will defer to others like James here as I have not had a young panther that I have reduced feedings on only Veileds. And yes they are different from a veiled because Panthers don't have this drive to eat or die built in. Veileds have to eat to grow and start reproducing this in the wild is all happening within a 9 month period before the dry season hits and they start to die off.

This is what Bill Strand recommends for a Panther. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/care-sheet-Panther-Chameleon-022020.pdf
6 months he switches to every other day of 5 feeders. Then at a year old that amount drops to 3 feeders every other day.

Honestly there are a lot of ways to do it... Even with my Veileds I weigh them to make sure they are still making gradual gains. IME what works for one does not work for another because growth rates and genetics are different. I adjust accordingly.
Thank you for linking this. I’m going to read up on it more!

Back
Top Bottom