Red runners

Ramrod

Chameleon Enthusiast
Ok what's the story on red runners as feeders and breeding? Not familiar with them so looking to see if they are a good alternative to crickets.
Thanks

They are pretty easy to breed. You just need to provide some heat and humidity. If conditions are too dry then the ootheca won't hatch.
Those things are fast and the males can glide. Some people are scared of them because they kind of look like a pest cockroach. Some people shared experiences with them infesting their basements/garages and some people have never had a problem with escapees. I honestly had a few escape and never had an infestation, and I live in Texas where it is hot most of the time.

I currently have them and my Cham loves them. Super easy to take care of but fast. Easy to breed...BUT they have gotten out of every feeder run I have so just beware. I have to supervise them and make sure he eats them all lol
!!! I have the same problem !!! Recently I add them to my cham’s diet ...he eats them in front of me and I left and came back with empty cup and thought, yay , he finished everything ... then I find them using dubia as stepping stone to climb out of the cup !!! !They can climb out of the ceramic feeder run bowl too:/:/:/ I have since changed my feeder cup three times ... hope they stay in

!!! I have the same problem !!! Recently I add them to my cham’s diet ...he eats them in front of me and I left and came back with empty cup and thought, yay , he finished everything ... then I find them using dubia as stepping stone to climb out of the cup !!! !They can climb out of the ceramic feeder run bowl too:/:/:/ I have since changed my feeder cup three times ... hope they stay in
Yes!!! I have caught them using each other as steps :ROFLMAO:

Well maybe this is not the bug for me. I would be worried about escape as these sound like they are hard to contain.
I have a custom enclosure with 1/4" wire mesh and they would go right thru that if they are the escape artists I'm hearing about. Thanks for the heads up on these.

tip, when getting them out to feed. Use a larger container as a safety net in case one falls out of the storage container. That way it is trapped in the larger container and not running from you.

Back
Top Bottom