Red Night time bulb

Markyj55

Hello all the other day I saw on the site that the Jackson Cham Doesn't Need a red Bulb At Night So do I Need one??;)

You dont need a night bulb of any kind. Chameleons are very sensitive to light and night-lights can disturb their sleep. If you are having trouble keeping temps up without a light, try using a space heater or other heat source. But no lights.

If heat at night is needed you could buy a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) which screws in the same dome fixtures like normal light bulbs. CHEs emit infrared heat but no light.

does the moon just not exist in the jungle or what? I don't understand why people recommend complete darkness...
Don't get your heat from a light bulb unless its a basking light for after they eat. If you bought it, use it for something else. Heat bulbs are more for bearded dragons instead of chams. having more reptiles is not always a bad thing... but what are you keeping your new jackson chameleon in?

I have used the red bulb due to this winter. It's pretty messed up, lots of supplies have a pic of a Cham on it, so the initial newbie reaction would be to get it. Now I can't return the freakin bulb and get my money back, but at least I know I'm taking a step in the right direction

does the moon just not exist in the jungle or what? I don't understand why people recommend complete darkness...

Jackschamnewbie, have you ever been in a dense jungle like the thicks of Madagascar, or even some dense woods at night? Even with a totally full bright moon, nothing gets thru. Chameleons bed down in a nice protected spot, and not at the tops of the trees where the moon would be seen.

Night heat is usually totally unnecessary for most species. If it drops below 50 for panthers or the low 40s for veileds then it would be appropriate. Most homes never get this cool.

And for the guy who said it's more for bearded dragons- bearded dragons are even more cold tolerant- unless it's going to freeze in your house, you don't need night heat for a dragon. And bearded dragons won't enjoy a colored bulb in the day either- it's no fun to see red or blue all the time.

Back
Top Bottom