Red light for basking?

Jordanworks479

Established Member
I have a exo terra 50watt infrared that I got roped into buying just wondering since I got the linear lights could I still use that red light for basking(DURING THE DAY) or should I just switch to incandescent?
Just to make it clear I do not use any lights at night.

I am told that incandescent lights are better, so I made the switch. But I don't think a chameleon's life is long enough for it to do any long-term damage either way, unless an owner makes the mistake of having to small of a distance between basking bulb and basking spot.

Yes. Pure darkness at night.

Might as well use what you got just measure the hest being emitted.. .but afterwards just use 60 watt incandecent

It should be fine, just watch your temps. I assume this is something you cant return?
No I can’t return it unfortunately they won’t even give me store credit it’s

Yes. Pure darkness at night.

Might as well use what you got just measure the hest being emitted.. .but afterwards just use 60 watt incandecent

It’s giving a perfect 85 basking nervous if I switch I won’t Be in the Goldie zone no more lol

I am told that incandescent lights are better, so I made the switch. But I don't think a chameleon's life is long enough for it to do any long-term damage either way, unless an owner makes the mistake of having to small of a distance between basking bulb and basking spot.

Think I might switch anyway it’s inexpensive to do so I’ll buy two different ones and test the temp
Waste of a cool red light though

I tried the zoo med and and Exo Terra bulbs but they just don't last long. They hold good temp for a while then start to go down after a month or so. Since I switched to standard house bulbs the temp is more consistent and I have not had one go out yet. It's only been a couple months but her that's longer then I would get from the others.

Just switch to incandescent and tried 4 different wattages and none got the temp correct except a 3 way bulb that I’m pretty sure is going at 150 watts and this thing is bright I know we are imitating the sun but when is it to bright?

Attachments

• 236DEF28-D52C-487B-AAB7-313D62E339C6.jpeg
    236DEF28-D52C-487B-AAB7-313D62E339C6.jpeg
    336.5 KB · Views: 102
I think it's because your fixture is lifted up off the cage. Mine sits right on the mesh. There should be about 8in from the light to basking branch. Unless you want the bigger gap then you would need the hotter wattage. Just go with what works but it may be harder to get the temp up that way.

Also some people here have said that their chams don't like the higher temp so just see what makes yours happy. Mine will sometime leave his mouth open while he basks instead of moving down so he seems to like it hot.

Back
Top Bottom