Recptive female doesnt want to stay?

AmandaS

Retired Moderator
So, my veiled cham doesnt want to stay in her place anymore. She is constantly trying to get out, but this has only been for the last, like, 3 days or so. She has never wanted to be out of her place before and im am becoming a little concerned. Is she just wanting a mate? Or should i fix her home better for her? What am I doing wrong now? Lol
I give her around 5-10 crickets a day with calcium w/out d3 and the occassional superworm or dubia(which she wont eat yet) and the occassional hornworm. He viv is set up to be around 85 at the top and around 70 at the bottom, though ive been keeping it at about a high 70 at the top hoping she wont have a huge clutch? Though i dont think that will be a problem. I ran out of cricket crack and have been gutloading with fluckers cricket diet for about 2 weeks now...ill be getting more cricket crack very soon!! Other than that, what do you guys think?? I dont want her to be uncomfortable.
And yes, side note, I will be getting a dragonstand in a few months. Just have to get this damn reptibreeze to work a little longer.

Attachments

• 0614190848a_Burst01.jpg
    0614190848a_Burst01.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 143
Also, in the laying box, the pothos has some roots, but the wandering jew does not. I just stuck it in there so she would have a little more coverage...she normally has a pothos and creeping fig. But it woulnt work in her bin. And i wanted her to have plenty of digging room

How large is her enclosure? Can her lay bin hold a tunnel and what are the dimensions?

You should not be dropping her basking temp that low she needs to be able to digest her food... She needs to be at about 82ish. Also if you are still feeding her everyday that is incorrect. But how old is she? For mature females you feed every other day and about 5 feeders...
The every other day feeding and the lower number of feeders along with the 82ish basking is what helps reduce the clutch size.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

I am under the impression she is 7ish months....although she IS a petco baby
Ok so you need to start reducing her feedings. Start cutting her back every other day by 2 each week. So if she is used to getting 10 a day you need to reduce this to 8 this week then 6 the week after and so on. Then she will just be eating every other day. On the opposite days you need to start reducing so that you get down to 5 feeders a day. So she does not go into freak out about not having the food you do not want to cold turkey her. This is important because food and heat directly impact clutch size.....
If she is looking for a place to lay... She may not feel secure in the cage being exposed.
So you can take a sheet and wrap the bottom half of the enclosure so that she feels like she is hidden.

I appreciate every bit of info you give me! Next time, i will NOT be getting a female. Spring was an impulse buy for me. And a lot of sleepless nights trying to fix what i almost unknowingly tried to destroyed!!!! Haha

If she is from Petco you need to prepare for what may be a fertile clutch. They tend to put males and females in the same enclosure together because they suck

Hmmm, i never even considered that....

And i am upgrading the viv. I only have a couple more months to get through with the p.o.s. reptibreeze.

Yeah, she was only like 2 inches long when i bought her, but...from petco....so like, who really knows how old she was??!!!!

Back
Top Bottom