Recommendations for indoor plants

eahoormann

Hey y'all!

I currently have a pothos, mainly for greenery and humidity, it's not super large so I can't play with the vines yet, but it's doing well because it's in the bottom and back of the enclosure and doesn't get the direct 'rain' the hibiscus gets... which is currently, apparently, getting water overload! And not doing very well because, you know, outdoor plant in an indoor enclosure. I wouldn't mind moving the hibiscus outside permanently so Leif can have a place to play outside but this makes me sad.

I JUST got out of the dog house with him for moving his cage to another room... I don't want to mess with him any more. Especially taking out a staple basking spot. But I don't want to just let the hibiscus die- also because it's got two buds that are just about ready to bloom!!. The only way I would be ok with this is to replace it with something that can handle the amount of water, being indoors, and sturdy branches for Leif to play on.

Any ideas??

You could get another hibiscus and swap them back and forth as needed. Just repot them with an inch of aquarium gravel in the bottom for drainage. Schefflera arboricola, umbrella plant, does well but won't be sturdy enough for an adult to get around on. You would need to have branches go thru it. It might need drainage also.

You could get another hibiscus and swap them back and forth as needed. Just repot them with an inch of aquarium gravel in the bottom for drainage. Schefflera arboricola, umbrella plant, does well but won't be sturdy enough for an adult to get around on. You would need to have branches go thru it. It might need drainage also.

I did think about just getting another hibiscus. How often would you swap them out? just as needed?

I like the pothos! The Ficus and Schefflera also do great indoors.

But pothos don't need a whole lot of water either, right? I don't want to drown them! lol

I spray his cage so much every morning and evening because that's all he gets! I love making it like a rain shower, he reacts so adorably!

When you shop for the Ficus, look for Ficus alli (aka lance leaved Ficus) instead of F. benjamina. It gets bigger, sturdier, and is less fussy than benjamina. It is often found with the trunk trained to braid. The leaves are long and pointed. Look for them at larger houseplant nurseries. Also, a fake Ficus can add a lot of structure to an indoor setup of smaller plants. If you want larger plants sooner, check moving/garage sales! Hibiscus needs a lot of direct light, so giving it a spotlight of its own can help. If the pot has a saucer, keep it empty or get rid of it to keep the soil drained. You can also add perlite or very coarse sand to the lower parts of the pot to speed up drainage.

But pothos don't need a whole lot of water either, right? I don't want to drown them! lol

I spray his cage so much every morning and evening because that's all he gets! I love making it like a rain shower, he reacts so adorably!
Pothos can handle being overwatered too, but obviously do better if they aren't.

I'm only guessing but I would say 2 weeks to a month. How long did it take this one to get shabby? Take that time and deduct a week or two.

When you shop for the Ficus, look for Ficus alli (aka lance leaved Ficus) instead of F. benjamina. It gets bigger, sturdier, and is less fussy than benjamina. It is often found with the trunk trained to braid. The leaves are long and pointed. Look for them at larger houseplant nurseries. Also, a fake Ficus can add a lot of structure to an indoor setup of smaller plants. If you want larger plants sooner, check moving/garage sales! Hibiscus needs a lot of direct light, so giving it a spotlight of its own can help. If the pot has a saucer, keep it empty or get rid of it to keep the soil drained. You can also add perlite or very coarse sand to the lower parts of the pot to speed up drainage.

Ooo thanks! I always love an excuse to go to a big nursery!! #iAmMyMothersDaughter. ;)

My pothos have been getting watered tons for years and are all doing quite well.
Yea mine as well I have pothos and schefflera arboricola in an enclosure being watered by a mist king with 4 nozzles several times a day for several mins each time and they are both doing VERY well

Yea mine as well I have pothos and schefflera arboricola in an enclosure being watered by a mist king with 4 nozzles several times a day for several mins each time and they are both doing VERY well

My only concern was when it was getting a lot of moisture, the rocks on top of the soil were getting fuzzy. I don't know if this is mold or what... is there a better way to cover soil?

My only concern was when it was getting a lot of moisture, the rocks on top of the soil were getting fuzzy. I don't know if this is mold or what... is there a better way to cover soil?
Well if you promise not to tell anyone I'll let u in on a secret;)...I don't cover the soil:eek:... lol if the soil rock Nazis come for me I'll know you told them lol o_O

By the way I'm in no way recommending u don't cover the soil my chameleon has simply never made me feel it to be necessary

Screen might be hard to use on the pothos but would work nicely on your tree.

Yeah, I was thinking that. Hmmm. Maybe just fewer rocks to allow the moisture somewhere to go? I think it was because it was right below the fogger and was constantly wet. I moved it to the other side of the cage and it's better now.

Back
Top Bottom