Recommendations for habitat

kirsten!

I have a 3-4 month old baby ambanja. I got him about 2 weeks ago. This is his set up so far. Please let me know what I need to add or take away.

16 x 16 x 30" ReptiBreeze Screen Cage
1 ficus tree with fake vine
Just purchased the umbrella tree next to his enclosure which I need to clean and repot.
Daylight Blue 60w bulb
Reptisun 5.0 uvb bulb
Both lights in a mini deep dome
I mist 3 times a day. Want to get a mister once I come up with a drainage system.
His food cup is in the lower right corner. He's eating great. When I get home everything is finished. Then I will give him a few more snacks until he doesn't want anymore.
Dripper always going.
Poops have all looked normal. White urates. Poops daily.
Temp gun will measure only around 80 when I use it on the basking spot. I see him sometimes stand under it and open his mouth as if he's hot though, but shouldn't it be warmer? I put my hand under it for about a minute and used the temp gun and it came back as 90. Temp gun never gets that number on just the branch though. Should I get a bigger bulb?
Low end of his cage temps will be 75 daytime
Humidity 47-67. Measured outside the cage so it has to be a slightly higher inside. Hoping the mister will fix this.
I hope I'm not doing anything horrible. I've come to love him so much and want him to be as happy and healthy as he can be. Would love any suggestions on how to make him a perfect home to thrive in.

Attachments

• IMG_9020.JPG
    IMG_9020.JPG
    365.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Supplements I was told to use:
Repashy calcium with lod every other day
Rep-cal herpavite with beta carotene twice a month
He's eating small crickets and roaches
Gutloading them with apples and romaine lettuce with some dry bug burger sprinkled on top
I'm letting him eat as much as he wants?

Yes sir you want the little guy to eat as much as he wants until he starts getting closer to a year.
Your enclosure looks nice, I recommend you add more verticals branches, make sure you have tons of branches for climbing up and down vertical, horizontal, etc. Don't over do it tho. You want him to have options but not be overwhelmed. I use the clear window film that people use to winterize their windows, it's clear strong and the double sided tape can go on the frame and you can stretch the film nice and tight for a clean professional look.

Once you get a mister be aware that his food bowl in that location could fill with water, I have had it happen.

Thanks. I might hold off on the mister until he moves into a larger enclosure. I'm afraid a mister would be too much for what he's living in now.

Anyone good at id-ing trees/shrubs? I have these in my yard and am wondering if I could get some branches for his enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_9051.JPG
    IMG_9051.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_9052.JPG
    IMG_9052.JPG
    353.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_9053.JPG
    IMG_9053.JPG
    392.6 KB · Views: 110
More horizontal branches and more misting. The most important time IMO is when lights are on you want at least 5-10 minutes at this time non stop. This is usually when get drink. Then do a few more 2-3 min mistings throughout day. The tube uvb would be better as well.

Otherwise off to a decent start I'd say

Plain calcium every feeding (feed early in day, don't feed before lights out). Herptivite 2x a month and calc with d3 2x a month, alternating with the vitamins each week.

Plain calcium every feeding (feed early in day, don't feed before lights out). Herptivite 2x a month and calc with d3 2x a month, alternating with the vitamins each week.

Thanks. I have been leaving food in the morning in his food cup. All the crickets are gone when I get home around 5:30pm, but I notice he will leave some roaches. I think it's because they bundle up in a corner and don't move. I have been giving him some snacks in pm. Should I stop that and just let him eat during the day?

Also will start using reptical without d3 daily... repashy calcium with lod and herpavite twice a month.

As for a tube style light I do have a ReptiSun 10.0 H.O. UVB Bulb (36") ReptiSun Terrarium Hood (36"). From what I've read chameleons need a 5.0 bulb, so I'll get that bulb. Would a 36" be ok to place on top of my 16" enclosure though? Or do I need to get a smaller hood? Think 20" is the smallest for ReptiSun.

Thanks again!

I have same problems with roaches lol, they're a PITA... and yeah I wouldnt feed in the PM. It's not necessary and could do more harm than good.

The 10.0 is fine if you have it. Just scatter the light by stringing vines across the top(under the light) or putting some sort of diffuser under the lighting.

Back
Top Bottom