Receptive veiled coloration.

It's not easy to spot the receptive coloration on a female veiled all the time. Especially if you haven't' seen it before - it can be subtle.

My current breeder is one of the less subtle ones I've seen. I managed to convince myself to take a few photos too...

I had thought she was gravid, as she generally doesn't show the strong warning colors unless she is. I was wrong. The past few days, she's become clearly receptive - lifting her tail at the male - receptive.

So, I have a pic of her in her threat colors, and in her receptive colors.

Her normal colors are typical, with somewhat strong vertical bars for a female. The bluish bars on her casque are actually nice robins egg blue - the pics don't show it cause the lighting was terrible.

Note: That blue on her throat is NEVER there unless she's receptive.

mother-non-receptive.jpg

receptivefemalecloseup.jpg

Nice looking Veiled. I didn't know that it made a difference what they looked like when they were receptive because I thought they would be different colors? Thanks, you taught me something new.

Awesome picutes!
The first one is very typical of a gravid female.
I would like to see some more reseptive pictures too.
I wish I could add some pictures to this.
Just give me a couple more months.:D
Great thread! +1

Heres a full body shot. The color is worse here, but you can see all the areas that are blue. Everything that's purplish-gray is robin's egg blue to the eye.

Her normal non-display colors are the same as in this pic, just remove all the blue and replace it with the background color. In my experience, all of my females have had the blue on the casque and along the back, in varying degrees.

mother-receptive.jpg

strong citrus sunburts?!?!?

BAH! hehe

Marketing names! She's produced some nice babies with my male, all of which have surpassed him quite a bit in color pattern, and when they're full grown and fully colored, should be very nice. Seems they have just a tad less orange than he does, but they have better stripes.

here's dad and two of his sons. They're still young, and their colors are not bright yet. The father was a disgusting maroon and gray until he was 15 months old - he was a very nervous, ugly lizard until then!

Bigveild2.JPG

brother20082.jpg

brother2008.jpg

Last edited:
I've always heard of a "jet black color with yellow accents" as being gravid or receptive color.... Dose this sound accurate?

Yes. The black background with high-contrasting colors is the gravid coloration.

The other photo shows her receptive colors, which are much more relaxed and pleasant.

Here's her daughter gravid. I took this pic a couple weeks ago, she's not yet laid her eggs. sh'es got much more yellow than her mother, which is not surprising, given her father's coloration.

female_002__large_original.jpg

Back
Top Bottom