Receptive female care

PistachioG

I’m pretty sure my female veiled is receptive. I’m wondering what changes if anything at this stage. She is not plump but has been exploring more of her enclosure the past week and going to her lay bin frequently though that is where she goes to the bathroom too. Her colors have been vibrant all week whereas normally she is more muted during the day and bright at night. She also has this new tan yellow spots and stripes.

1. Should I change anything with diet or supplements if there is a chance she is receptive and may have or start to grow
2. Should I add a dripper once a day or is she good as long as she poops regularly and has urates?

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - veiled, female, 3 years old. I’ve had her for 2 months.
  • Handling - once a week at most.
  • Feeding and supplements - 2-3 crickets or 2 silkworms or 4-5 BSFL every other day and occ hornworms or BSflies as a treat. Earth Pro A every feeding, Repashy Lo D once a month.
  • Watering - MistKing 30 sec at 7pm, 8pm, 9pm, 1:00 am, 2:00am, 3:00am, 5:00am, 6:30 am.
  • Fecal Description - Every other day, looks healthy and formed with urate. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No
  • History - Original owner had her since a few months old until 3. No mention of any health or feeding issues. Never laid eggs but also didn’t have a lay box consistently.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Screen with back side covered, 36x18x36
  • Lighting - Arcadia T5 6% linear + daylight bulb . On from 7am until 7pm.
  • Temperature - Basking upper =82, lower =78 Low overnight = 64-67. I use a therm pro with a waterproof sensor plus temp gun and hand under basking just to triple check.
  • Humidity - 43-48% during the day, 68-75% at night. See watering for more info. I use a thermpro waterproof that can stay in the enclosure 100%.
  • Plants - Lipstick, pink polka dot, weeping ficus, prayer, fern, pothos
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Bedroom. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? None of these. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 6.5-7ft
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Washington state, USA

Has a lay box filled with 50% washed play sand 50% potting soil

Attachments

• 54DFBA19-5F50-4350-B72D-227740628552.jpeg
    54DFBA19-5F50-4350-B72D-227740628552.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 94
  • C1AD0B06-DBDF-472E-AC2C-C71CA787FE80.jpeg
    C1AD0B06-DBDF-472E-AC2C-C71CA787FE80.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 107
How many different types and which types do you provide in a week or month. We just got dubias so I could add those if it helps at all.as
As many as you can here’s a neat list of insects that are safe mine loves hornworms but those are more of treats in a way

Attachments

• 8CBF3ED9-6BBA-41BF-B865-DF98CB450ED3.png
    8CBF3ED9-6BBA-41BF-B865-DF98CB450ED3.png
    915.7 KB · Views: 75
Hi there! Yup…sounds like your girl is receptive. Have I asked you about your misting schedule before? It looks so familiar to me and I recall it being explained as a way to boost night time humidity. If so, that’s great. However, I would suggest adding a 2 minute misting session just before lights on (your 6:30a one) and add another 2 minute misting about an hour before lights out. Or you could add a dripper for about 20-30 minutes during the day. Adding some dubia to your staple feeders would be great. Your temps and feeding amount are pretty good to help reduce her egg production. I keep my girls at 80 deg and feed 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week (plus treats). You really don’t need to change anything in your husbandry for being receptive or laying. You have your lay bin ready and I’d suggest also getting a light sheet ready to cover the visible parts of her enclosure for when she starts digging to lay her eggs. Now, I do want to also tell you that if her temps and feeding amounts have been consistent for a time, it is possible that she may not lay any eggs. Both of my girls have gone thru receptive periods a few times and didn’t lay. It is unnerving and you’ll need to be alert to her behaviors. If she is lethargic, not basking/staying low in her enclosure, not eating/drinking, eyes closed during the day or anything else, you’ll want to get her checked by a vet ASAP. In the days leading up to laying, she may get a little restless and start going down to scope out places to lay and some eat less or nothing right before. Of course, she’ll also get plump and maybe even lumpy looking. For a few days after laying, feed her very well and then return to your regular feedings. I hope this has been of some help. Feel free to ask any questions or share the anxiety of it all. :)

Hi there! Yup…sounds like your girl is receptive. Have I asked you about your misting schedule before? It looks so familiar to me and I recall it being explained as a way to boost night time humidity. If so, that’s great. However, I would suggest adding a 2 minute misting session just before lights on (your 6:30a one) and add another 2 minute misting about an hour before lights out. Or you could add a dripper for about 20-30 minutes during the day. Adding some dubia to your staple feeders would be great. Your temps and feeding amount are pretty good to help reduce her egg production. I keep my girls at 80 deg and feed 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week (plus treats). You really don’t need to change anything in your husbandry for being receptive or laying. You have your lay bin ready and I’d suggest also getting a light sheet ready to cover the visible parts of her enclosure for when she starts digging to lay her eggs. Now, I do want to also tell you that if her temps and feeding amounts have been consistent for a time, it is possible that she may not lay any eggs. Both of my girls have gone thru receptive periods a few times and didn’t lay. It is unnerving and you’ll need to be alert to her behaviors. If she is lethargic, not basking/staying low in her enclosure, not eating/drinking, eyes closed during the day or anything else, you’ll want to get her checked by a vet ASAP. In the days leading up to laying, she may get a little restless and start going down to scope out places to lay and some eat less or nothing right before. Of course, she’ll also get plump and maybe even lumpy looking. For a few days after laying, feed her very well and then return to your regular feedings. I hope this has been of some help. Feel free to ask any questions or share the anxiety of it all. :)
Thank you, this helps. She has plants surrounding her lay bin. I may still add a sheet though. Yes the misting is to keep humidity up. I was doing 2 min and reduced it because it was soaking everything like a full rain. I may add an evening before lights out dripper and maybe increase the morning mist.

She has a very interesting color pattern. Almost showing male barring. I would drop basking back to 79-80. And you should be using the repashy calcium plus LoD two times a month say the 1st and the 15th. What is the distance from the T5 to the basking branch below it?

Is her vent discolored? It almost looks black.

She has a very interesting color pattern. Almost showing male barring. I would drop basking back to 79-80. And you should be using the repashy calcium plus LoD two times a month say the 1st and the 15th. What is the distance from the T5 to the basking branch below it?

Is her vent discolored? It almost looks black.
I have had a hard time keeping the basking temp up to 79 but having it never get slightly above 80. Any suggestions? I will add a second dose of the LoD each month. I’ll measure basking distance when she’s not on it. She is feisty right now. I’ll see if I can get a better pic of her vent.

I have had a hard time keeping the basking temp up to 79 but having it never get slightly above 80. Any suggestions? I will add a second dose of the LoD each month. I’ll measure basking distance when she’s not on it. She is feisty right now. I’ll see if I can get a better pic of her vent.
0F91F276-5807-4E42-B0EA-30D0E8C659F2.jpeg

And here is a pic of her basking and a little annoyed that I’m taking pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 81
You can play with your bulb strength and distance. If your measuring at the branch then it is going to be a few degrees hotter where she rises up.

@kinyonga will you look at the pic above of this females vent? Color looks off and it looks almost dry and swollen. Or am I just imagining it? :)
Here are some older pictures, it’s hard to get a good look at the vent in these but I agree it looks off if I compare.

Attachments

• 8ACFA405-69EC-466A-8DFB-19C68D3DB9AF.jpeg
    8ACFA405-69EC-466A-8DFB-19C68D3DB9AF.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 4CDA80BC-2D83-4D97-9960-1B8F4E8D9556.jpeg
    4CDA80BC-2D83-4D97-9960-1B8F4E8D9556.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 69
Here are some older pictures, it’s hard to get a good look at the vent in these but I agree it looks off if I compare.
Yeah see in that second pic it is has a normal green coloring. And does not look swollen.

How often is she passing fecal and urate?

Back
Top Bottom