Receptive chameleon trying to get out of cage?

TiKiMan

Established Member
TiKi has been clawing at the bottom edges of her cage trying to get out, I'm a first time cham owner and don't know if this is her looking for a mate because shes receptive? I would like to know what you guys think and please let me know if this is normal when they're receptive or if i should be concerned. As far as I'm concerned my husbandry is good and she hasn't ever done this before, she just starting doing it recently.

Sounds like shes looking for a place to lay or a mate, does she have a laybin? And please post pictures of everything!
She has a bioactive cage that @Brodybreaux25 has said is suitable as a laybin, ill post pictures anyway. shes not yet gravid but is definitely receptive.
IMG-6527.jpg
IMG-6526.jpg
IMG-6525.jpg
IMG-6524.jpg
IMG-6522.jpg
IMG-6523.jpg
btw sry if pics arent great

TiKi has been clawing at the bottom edges of her cage trying to get out, I'm a first time cham owner and don't know if this is her looking for a mate because shes receptive? I would like to know what you guys think and please let me know if this is normal when they're receptive or if i should be concerned. As far as I'm concerned my husbandry is good and she hasn't ever done this before, she just starting doing it recently.
Can’t give you a legit answer without the form. Up to you if you want to post it or not. Likely just restless from being receptive.

I KNOW I never approved of that as a lay bin. If I did, I was drunk!

That fiber has no place in a cham viv.

Can’t give you a legit answer without the form. Up to you if you want to post it or not. Likely just restless from being receptive.

I KNOW I never approved of that as a lay bin. If I did, I was drunk!

That fiber has no place in a cham viv.
The brown moss stuff?

Personally I would t advise having either, I prefer a leaf mix. Especially when using a bio set up for a lay bin. The fiber/moss is very fluffy and the girls usually struggle to get to the dirt beneath it.
Okay. I’m gonna be honest, on the sides of the cage where you see the moss there’s no dirt under that but in the middle of the cage there’s like a hard felt box type thing that is holding all the dirt and no moss, but there is a lot of roots in that area. Should I dig up all that moss on the outer rim of the cage and replace it with dirt?

I just got home if y'all need more pics of the cage, I am open for advice as to what I need to change in her cage before shes ready to lay.

I keep a light sheet pinned to the side of the enclosure so when she’s ready to lay I can easily pin up the other side to give her privacy. Just an idea. :)

Okay. I’m gonna be honest, on the sides of the cage where you see the moss there’s no dirt under that but in the middle of the cage there’s like a hard felt box type thing that is holding all the dirt and no moss, but there is a lot of roots in that area. Should I dig up all that moss on the outer rim of the cage and replace it with dirt?
Yes.

also post pics of everything.

Would i be able to use some leftover play sand in replace of the moss stuff or is it necessary that I go out and buy some dirt?
I’d recommend a mix of them but you could go all sand if absolutely necessary. Doubt your plants would appreciate it though.

Also I just caught her digging.
00D075DA-50EC-4F79-B7CA-09A430A6DA93.jpeg

im sorry it’s so blurry, I was trying to get it before she could see me. I caught her doing this once a couple months ago when she was too you’ve to even be receptive so idk what she was doing then

Attachments

• 4477428D-334C-44F8-BA8A-35A16E6BB968.jpeg
    4477428D-334C-44F8-BA8A-35A16E6BB968.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom