Reason cage suggestions top out at 48”

Mikee002

Is there a particular reason that all cage suggestions seem to top out at 48 inches tall? Is it because there is no added benefit in going much taller than that?

To my knowledge, there is no reason for why they max out at 48 inches, it has just become standard. Though if my cage was any taller than 48 inches while sitting on a table, I wouldn't have enough room for my lights hanging above my cage. Ofc if your lights sit directly on the cage, then you could get away with a taller cage.

But no, there is no biological reason for why the cages max out at 48 inches.

Probably because short people like me would have a hard time cleaning and putting it together 🤣🤣🤣
I'm honestly not sure, I would think a reason being is most enclosures like that are for arboreal creatures and knowing most people set them up on a stand to make it higher.. they probably also have something in mind that when you set up drainage on the bottom the enclosure it adds another couple feet to the entire set up. Good question tho. 🤔🤔

Probably because short people like me would have a hard time cleaning and putting it together 🤣🤣🤣
I'm honestly not sure, I would think a reason being is most enclosures like that are for arboreal creatures and knowing most people set them up on a stand to make it higher.. they probably also have something in mind that when you set up drainage on the bottom the enclosure it adds another couple feet to the entire set up. Good question tho. 🤔🤔
The height limits are one of the reasons I build my own. Guess it's just the industry standard and I prefer much taller enclosures.
I would say as previously stated that ceiling height probably has alot to do with it.

It is for the bare minimum, because most people do the bare minimum in anything, so trying to get a big enough cage for chams to have at least a little room to grow and move in for the owners that do the bare minimum. Bill Strand and others are trying to get the minimum to 4’ x 2‘ x 4’ tall or bigger (for the basic beginner chams like panthers, veileds, jacksons, etc.). The correct answer for what cage size is as big as you can go! Sadly, not everyone wants to do that, ergo the minimum cage sizes are needed.

I've read many reasons—some valid, some possibly slightly misguided.
If you want to build one taller, by all means go for it. Some folks have walk-in enclosures, and some free-range.

I would hesitate going any shorter unless there were significant horizontal space, and the enclosure were elevated so the cham's basking zone is at or above eye level. There seems to be some evidence that they're more comfortable at that height.

Thanks for the replies. It all makes sense. I guess one thinking would be that PAR from the plant lights may become too low with a taller cage? I guess if you just plant light appropriate plants at lower levels you’d probably be good.

Thanks for the replies. It all makes sense. I guess one thinking would be that PAR from the plant lights may become too low with a taller cage? I guess if you just plant light appropriate plants at lower levels you’d probably be good.
I'd be surprised if PAR went into it, though that's a good point, and a good reason to plan plants thoughtfully. I also like the tiered approach described here:
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

Another approach to enclosure size can be found here; if not for initial planning, then for a check:
http://www.anapsid.org/enclsize.html

Shipping requirements probably also effected this. I would guess a 48x24 flat box is cheaper to package and ship than something longer or something that is 48x48

Back
Top Bottom