Really sad....

RachelRiot

Last night I went to Petsmart to pick up some more crix and I happened to stop at their reptiles which I never do. They have a veiled there that is really really not doing good. She is in maybe a 12x12x12 glass tank with one sad little branch and reptile bark on the bottom.

She is turning black and not moving very much. It is really bothering me. After leaving the store last night I was really upset. They are basically just letting her die and it is truly unfair and heartbreaking.

I tried to talk the guy down on her price a little cause she is visibly sick but he wouldnt budge. My problem was that I didnt really have the money for him (it is a male) and a new cage.

My question is, is there any hope of saving him if I go buy him today????

I feel like I need to do something but I am so limited. I can make the money situation work if he has a chance.

I am afraid that when I go back later today he is going to have passed away already. That's how bad it is.

Well, I think the only way to stop pet stores from putting animals in this kind of situation is not buying them. I know you feel you have to do something, but if yu buy him, the store will order more because they are "selling good".

There are 2 key players to stop cruelty here, first the buyer should buy somewhere else, from a breeder or a place with more respect for the animals. And second the unscrupulous "breeders" who sell their animals to petstores. They Should be discouraged to do so.

If you buy it, at any price, you are financially rewarding Petsmart for their irresponsible behavior. They will in turn, order another one because the last one sold. In fact they may order 2 or more if they think that its a hot item.

If the animal dies, they lose money, and may consider the fact that chameleons aren't suited for their store or that location.

Even if you manage to save that one, buy purchasing it you'll be killing probably hundreds more indirectly.

Very sad. The bottom line is don't even look in the reptile section or you will everytime find a sick or dying animal or an animal that is in the wrong setup.
Most pet stores are not receptive to advise unless you know them. Their motive is a quick sale to move the animal along. My local petstores let me check out their reptiles for health issues so maybe establish a friendly relationship with the owner or manager first.

you dont by any chance live in milford ohio do you? i ventured over to that location to get some crix and saw a very sad looking veiled a couple weeks ago :(

i agree with everyone in here by buying the animal you are just fueling petsmarts industry to buy more chameleons destined for the same future as that pour lil girl so please dont buy her i know you want to rescue her but you are going to put so many others into her same spot by doing so , so leave buying chameleons from reputable breeders

it sure is an awful situation... i wish there was some kind of quality of living standards for pet stores that were enforced by law. i don't know if there are any now, but they sure aren't enforced well

It's the same old story, the petsmarts of the world, buy in bulk for dirt cheap and main goal is profit. You will always see sick/dying animals in their stores because they (generally) just don't care.

The cold reality of it is, by buying these animals you're giving them reasons to restock and cause more harm. In some cases its better to let the animals pass to make a point. If they continue to lose their animals and no one buys, then they will eventually stop bringing in that type of animal. Its a slow process but its a start... You can also do what i've done and boycott the store all together... i haven't stepped into a petsmart for over a year and i don't plan to any time soon.

There are always alternatives, at this point with the economy the way it is, boycott the large chains and support the local privately owned pet stores if possible.

Screw Petsmart...
-koz

It's the same old story, the petsmarts of the world, buy in bulk for dirt cheap and main goal is profit. You will always see sick/dying animals in their stores because they (generally) just don't care.

The cold reality of it is, by buying these animals you're giving them reasons to restock and cause more harm. In some cases its better to let the animals pass to make a point. If they continue to lose their animals and no one buys, then they will eventually stop bringing in that type of animal. Its a slow process but its a start... You can also do what i've done and boycott the store all together... i haven't stepped into a petsmart for over a year and i don't plan to any time soon.

There are always alternatives, at this point with the economy the way it is, boycott the large chains and support the local privately owned pet stores if possible.

Screw Petsmart...
-koz

Thank you all for your responses. I kinda knew that's what they were going to be. It just breaks my heart. :(

I am going to to go with this and start boycotting Petsmart. This isn't the first time I have seen death in there. Just a couple of weeks ago I was telling one of the employees I saw putting a huge water dish into a baby corn snakes tank that it would drown in that much water and the next day I came in and sure enough there were three dead snakes in the water dish.

I just dont understand how money can make people have that little respect for a life. Sad!

I refuse to buy an animal of any kind from petsmart! The only consideration would be adopting a dog or cat from the pet adoption organization that uses petsmart as a facility. My only reason for visiting petsmart is for their wide variety of dog and cat food. They carry the kind of dog food that is specific to my breed of dogs and I have not been able to find it anywhere else.
Candy

I just dont understand how money can make people have that little respect for a life. Sad!

I know how you feel and I agree completely... what’s worse is that this is just a microcosm of the real problem... you think lack of respect for the life of an animal is bad... don't even get me started on genocide and government...

Deep breaths... hee hee hee hooooo, hee hee hee hooooo...
Sensitive topic for me obviously.

-koz

TV321406

you dont by any chance live in milford ohio do you? i ventured over to that location to get some crix and saw a very sad looking veiled a couple weeks ago :(

I do live in Milford Ohio and I know exactly Where ur talking about and many stories about that place Its funny you brought up milford . Didnt know anyone was from here. Things like this are very sad

Kevin

The blame is on the breeders. They sell the animals to the stores too young, and in general sell off their worst stock to the pet stores. Of course there is a reason they do this...

The blame is on the consumers. They aren't willing to pay what it takes to ensure healthy, quality animals. Supply and demand do control the price, you get what you pay for. Breeders have to sell an animal early because it is the only way to meet the pricing that the customer demands.. in exchange they get an animal destined to die.

The blame is on the stores. They don't properly train their employees, they carry animals they shouldn't, etc. Of course if the customers were willing to pay more they could afford to pay their employees more and train them better.. buy better animals, etc. If the breeders demanded higher prices the customers would be forced to pay more.

Its a nasty circle. Petsmart is like wal-mart...
If you want to buy a suit.. Walmart will have it.
If you want to buy a better suit.. you go to a specialty store.
IF you want to buy a REAL suit, you pay the money and have the tailor make it for you.

chameleon76- im not actually form milford but i live near and went to that place for the first time (i think its new). they had a little veiled in an all glass enclosure with substrate, minimal fake plants, and a water dish. idiots. that kind of stuff makes me so mad because if they would do a little research, they could at least care for it a little better without much effort at all.

chameleon76- im not actually form milford but i live near and went to that place for the first time (i think its new). they had a little veiled in an all glass enclosure with substrate, minimal fake plants, and a water dish. idiots. that kind of stuff makes me so mad because if they would do a little research, they could at least care for it a little better without much effort at all.

Sent you PM

The same thing happened here a few months ago at a local Petsmart. They had a female veiled who had been in a tiny glass enclosure for at least 6 months. Last time we saw her, she was dark, on the bottom, and had her eyes closed. On multiple occasions, Nikki spoke with managers about her condition (baaad MBD, for one), letting them know that the cham absolutely needed to be seen by a vet who at least knew about reptiles, let alone chameleons. Phone numbers and lists of proper equipment and care procedures were left with the managers, apparently to no avail...until one day, when someone from corporate called. He seemed polite enough, from what I remember hearing. We haven't been back in quiet some time, but it's unlikely she survived...and let's hope no one bought her. :(

It might be possible to still help. it takes time and commitment. I don't know the laws where you are at but sometimes if enough people call the local Animal Control and let them know that the store has an animal that is in obvious distress and is not properly caring for it, with holding medical care, not providing the proper living conditions, etc. they will seize the animal and take it to the vet. If there is a local rescue group get them involved, it's amazing what a little negative publicity can do, lol.

Ok I actually Manage a PetSmart and am saddened to hear any horror story involving any type of pet within our company. If the chameleon is truly in bad shape talk to the Store Director about adopting the chameleon. If we believe its in the best interest of the pet than we have to make that decision. I can't speak for all stores but I truly do have dedicated associates that have a passion for pets. We only order pets that we can properly house and anything that would require a specialized habitat or larger that we can accommodate is reserved to special orders only. We also will not sell any pet to someone whom we do not believe will properly care for their new pet. Most people who work in the bigger retail chains just don't have enough knowledge about all creatures. Another factor is that when we do order reptiles, we don't know what condition, age or sex they will arrive in. Look im not trying to change anybody's mind about our company. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I and iplenty of other forum members have had problems with petsmart and petco m not bashing you in particular. I noticed at both of these stores there was a problem with their care in the reptile section. as soon as I notified the manager she got extremely hostile and rude with me. She insisted that she knew exactly what she was doing and that a vet comes in to check on the reptiles every week. I still told her you do not keep a 6 month chameleon with a 3 month one she just walked away. That was my experience with petco. petsmart was the same thing just happened in a different way. By the way that same day I was watching the chameleons the big one shot her tongue at the small chams tail and missed by a centimeter. After that I felt helpless and just left. Another time I went to another petco and let them know they need a basking spot to help them digest there food and they just told me they knew what they were doing and thanks for my concern. ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS TO MAKE AN EXTRA BUCK. THEY DONT CARE IF THE REPTILE DIES BECAUSE THEY GET CREDIT FROM THE BREEDER AS LONG AS THEY FREEZE THE ANIMAL AND SEND IT BACK TO THE BREEDER. very sad very sad

-sorry just speaking my mind and giving all the people the experiences I have had in the past with these so called reptile experts.

Back
Top Bottom