really confused...

danibug23

ok I've been reading everywhere and people are saying don't use the reptiglo coil bulbs?? Can someone please tell me what the correct lighting should be tubed or coil or reptisun or reptiglo??

There were problems in the past with some coiled bulbs. Because there's the chance of old bulbs being on the market, most here are a bit wary of them. If you have a UVB meter and can monitor the bulb's output, then that fear would not be an issue.

The linear tubes have never had a problem so are regarded as safest.

most prefer the reptisun 5.0 tube lights - as far as i know the reasoning is these tend to be the most consistant bulb to bulb. thats pretty much the main reason from what ive gathered.

some use repti glo and they seem to work just fine as well. a few people use the coil type bulbs, most people just dont want to take the risk of eye problems...although at this point i'm pretty sure the coil bulbs are safe (both brands)..

Fluorescent linear tube light... I've got both reptisun 5.0 and reptiglo 5.0, there isn't much difference between them other than the reptisun is a bit brighter/whiter.. the reptiglo has more of a blueish tint. I think your better off with either of these rather than a coil light.

Fyi, it was the reptisun CFL bulbs that had the manufacturing problem. The reptiglo bulbs never had any problems associated with them and neither have the linears. Many people group all the CFLs together even though just the one type had a problem. I prefer the reptiglo bulbs personally because they give off a yellow, more natural light as opposed to the bright white of the reptisuns. People have reported the reptisuns can last longer than 6 months but without a UVB meter I don't trust any bulb past 6 months just in case.

I found that I needed to buy my hood from LLL because I bought a 24 inch bulb. However, the other sizes do seem more "home depot" friendly.

48 inch bulbs work nicely over 2 or even 3 cages and you can buy a fixture for around $18 for this size.

Back
Top Bottom