Real sun really makes a difference

Mario22

So for the past 2 weeks ive been taking my cham out since its finally warm enough, and I've seen an increase in his appetite ,hes alot more active his colors are more brighter. Overall he looks alot more healthy. Just thought id share that with you guys

It certainly does! Our artificial bulbs don't produce nearly the same amount of UV as the sun, so when these guys go out into the sun the heavier doses of it (and the psychological benefit of sunlight) just perks them right up.

The difference is incredable isn't it! I keep my guys outside from spring to fall and they absolutley love it.

Here is a question to go with it.. I've tried the search button but cant get an exact answer. When you guys have your animals out for a few hours a day, how does it effect your D3 powder? Still give it 2 times a month or change it?

Mine are outside in natural sun several hours a week, sometimes days at a time if the weather is nice. So I've cut out D3 completely because I don't think it's necessary, personally. If cutting it out completely scares you, you can cut it down to once a month or dust even lighter those two times.

Mine are outside in natural sun several hours a week, sometimes days at a time if the weather is nice. So I've cut out D3 completely because I don't think it's necessary, personally. If cutting it out completely scares you, you can cut it down to once a month or dust even lighter those two times.

My Vet recommended that exact thing. Get a good UVB light he really liked MV but not sure I am ready to go there and as much sunshine as possible and NO D3 powder. He said D3 powder is also used as rat poison so it's some pretty toxic stuff in an overdose amount and if you can get enough natural D3 you can do without;)

The benefits of real sunshine almost certainly go way beyond simply "UVB=D3". A reptile's parietal or "third" eye has been shown to be a sensitive organ tied into the animals endrocrine/hormonal system. These systems regulate all kinds of important biological functions and behaviors.

As mentioned above, even a few hours of sunlight a day will be beneficial and you will see physical and behavioral changes that are positive. Just be sure that your animal always has a cooler, shaded area to retreat to. Where I live I have my mist head running on half of the enclosure most of the day.

I have been watching my baby hoehnelii bask and I am, every day, surprised how "sun-loving" they are.

Learning every day....

So for the past 2 weeks ive been taking my cham out since its finally warm enough, and I've seen an increase in his appetite ,hes alot more active his colors are more brighter. Overall he looks alot more healthy. Just thought id share that with you guys
Yeah, true that :) I'm getting them out as much as possible in Hull over the Summer - not for nothing was 'Here comes the Sun' written in Liverpool.....we have long cold lonely winters over in the North of England, lol

The benefits of real sunshine almost certainly go way beyond simply "UVB=D3". A reptile's parietal or "third" eye has been shown to be a sensitive organ tied into the animals endrocrine/hormonal system. These systems regulate all kinds of important biological functions and behaviors.

As mentioned above, even a few hours of sunlight a day will be beneficial and you will see physical and behavioral changes that are positive. Just be sure that your animal always has a cooler, shaded area to retreat to. Where I live I have my mist head running on half of the enclosure most of the day.

I have been watching my baby hoehnelii bask and I am, every day, surprised how "sun-loving" they are.

Learning every day....
You know, Sun is very good for Human biological functions and has many psychological benefits too.....people forget we are still in the wild (not captivity anyway, unless you believe in 'The Matrix')
I go out and bask next to the Chams as often as possible....

Back
Top Bottom