Ready to Bread 'em.....need some guidance.

Dan

Hey all!
Sorry I havent been on here in a while....school kinda takes over my life...but I got some time off now...aka freedom!

Anyway....I am hoping to breed my chams this summer. I have a pair of panthers both about 3 years old. My female laid infertile eggs about 6 months ago.

Since I feel I have the time now I would like to breed them; however, I have never done this before and am hoping to get some guidance and pointers. They have both seen each other before and when they do, the male turns bright colors and bobs his head at her, and the female puffs up and gapes her mouth at him.

Do I just put them in the cage together and let them do their thing....or is there more to it? Does it matter who gets put into whos cage?

ANyway...any pointers, advice or guidance would be awesome!

Thanks everyone!

You said..."the male turns bright colors and bobs his head at her, and the female puffs up and gapes her mouth at him"..."Do I just put them in the cage together and let them do their thing....or is there more to it?"...there's more to it. When they are acting aggressively/non-receptively towards each other its not good to put them together.

What I do is this...I show the female to the male by holding the female outside the male's cage. If the female turns dark with peach markings, gapes, hisses, sways back and forth then she is non-receptive/gravid....and if the male brightens his colors, hisses, gapes, inflates his gular pouch, etc. then he doesn't recognize the female as receptive and they should not be put together.

If the female remains her calm colors (not dark brown/peach) and moves slowly away from the male...doesn't sway, hiss or gape, etc. then she is receptive....and if the male behaves in a non-aggressive manner, then the two can be put together. IMHO you still need to keep an eye on them in case things suddenly change.

When the female starts to reject/repel the male, she should be removed from the cage and put back in her own.

breeding

So... the male stays calm and receptive when he sees her. However, the female doesnt seem as receptive. But...she has always had a very "non-receptive" attitude...if you look at her she puffs up and turns dark. Could that just be her personality? If she truly isnt receptive do they ever become receptive...like is it a cycle thing?

If the female is behaving in a non-receptive manner and you put her in with the male there will likely be a "war". If she's showing non-receptive then she is likely producing eggs and they are too far along to be fertilized (if she wasn't mated, of course)...so you will have to wait for her to lay the eggs. A few days/weeks after she lays the eggs she should become receptive again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that you should never put the female in the males cage because the males are so territorial and would most likely fight her.

Back
Top Bottom