Reaction to butterworms

fuzzhc

Today i fed my chams their first butterworms. My male panther and veiled were fine but my female has taken a reaction to them, it almost looks like she has been burned.

11210286_10153198679520932_102855144_n.jpg

961524_10153198679475932_765059182_n.jpg

11165987_10153198679355932_561452133_n.jpg

i seen an issue a few months ago where another member had the same issue with butter worms.
I wonder if there is something going on with those particular worms, or if its an allergic reaction...

yeah ive read about it too. I was thinking maybe an allergic reaction or even chemical reaction of some sort

Yeah, I can't remember which member it was, but someone posted a similar thread pertaining to the same issue. I feed my male veiled butterworms occasionally and he's fine, it seems like plain bad luck when a cham breaks out in a reaction. I don't think it's anything to worry about, is your chameleon acting differently since ingesting the worm or is it only in her appearance?

I do not feed butterworms anymore for this reason. There have actually been quite a few cases and my one chameleon had a reaction also. His eyes turned completely black and the surrounding area also and stayed like that for a few days. I don't know if you belong to Chameleon Central on FB, but there is a chameleon who has been dealing with this for months. I think the owner posted on here as well. The owner now thinks it is a burn,(I don't agree) as she had just fed butterworms that day and the chameleon turned black from the tip of his nose, past his head and about an inch down his back. He now has some sort of secondary infection and has a big hole under his arm!!! I don't see how a burn would show up that way on half of the body and the fact that she fed the butterworms is very suspect. My rule is don't feed them anymore!

She has been acting normal since then but ill maybe go see if she will take a locust just to be on the safe side and make sure she has her appertite still. Im wondering if i should maybe spray her just incase it is burning or if some how it could make it worse? Yeah this is the first time they have had them, dont think ill get them again just to be on the safe side.

Cases like this keep coming up in a few different lizard species. There is something up with the butterworms but since it's quite a rare event no one has been able to prove what's going on yet.

At rainbow mealworms I read this...

"Butterworms are the larvae of the Chilean Moth (Chilecomadia Moorei). They are a restricted species in the United States that must be exposed to radiation before they can be shipped to prevent pupation, as they are considered an invasive pest. Because we are an all organic company, we don't wish to jeaopardize our claim by carrying an irradiated product at this time. "

I wonder if this has anything to do with it??:eek:

Now that's just creepy! :eek:

At rainbow mealworms I read this...

"Butterworms are the larvae of the Chilean Moth (Chilecomadia Moorei). They are a restricted species in the United States that must be exposed to radiation before they can be shipped to prevent pupation, as they are considered an invasive pest. Because we are an all organic company, we don't wish to jeaopardize our claim by carrying an irradiated product at this time. "

I wonder if this has anything to do with it??:eek:

Back
Top Bottom