Re-potting cage plants, do's and don'ts ???

Winterhawk1960

I am looking at purchasing at least a couple of real plants for my panther chameleon baby that I will get in a few weeks. If someone could point me in the direction of any other threads about re-potting the plants in the best soil for the plants as well as being the safest to keep in my cages, it would really be appreciated.

Things like pot size and type of soil to use as well as "ease of keeping alive" would be GREAT.

Thank-You in advance...........

Winterhawk1960

P.S. I am going to have an AquaZamp Raindome supplying the moisture to my cage.

I've been looking into the same thing and have found you need to wash the plant and use organic soil, the rest i really have no clue about.

Definitely wash the plant good and organic soil is definitely a plus but not required. I've always kept live plants in original pots with no problems. I dig out the top 2-3" of soil and fill it with coco husk. This is the same bedding used for frogs and other amphibians. This is just one way to do it:)

You are getting your cham from The kammers right? They have the info in the care sheets they sent you. If you choose to do the soil, just remove first couple inches and replace with organic soil. A few breeders that I know use simple green to wash the plant and just rinse really well. As long as you rinse the plans several times before your cham gets there you should be good. ( along with wash the plant)

I have the care sheet from the Kammers and will do the wash as they suggest. I will also cover the top of the soil with some smooth and large enough rocks that there will be no danger of it being ingested. I was just curious as to whether most people do a complete re-potting in another container with another type of soil and if so......what specific kind of soil ???

Also, what kind of plant do Panthers seem to like best and are the easiest to keep alive in an indoor enclosure ???

Winterhawk1960

I have the care sheet from the Kammers and will do the wash as they suggest. I will also cover the top of the soil with some smooth and large enough rocks that there will be no danger of it being ingested. I was just curious as to whether most people do a complete re-potting in another container with another type of soil and if so......what specific kind of soil ???

Also, what kind of plant do Panthers seem to like best and are the easiest to keep alive in an indoor enclosure ???

Winterhawk1960

I bought mine from the Krammer's.. Benjamin Ficus and washed then repotted with an "organic" potting soil.

dont buy soil with alot of perlite in it(white styrofoam looking stuff for better draining). Both my montium and panther chameleons try eating it off the soil so i had to put rocks down and they still were trying to get it so i changed out. Both my chams are heathly and dont appear hurt at all from it.

Definitely wash the plant good and organic soil is definitely a plus but not required. I've always kept live plants in original pots with no problems. I dig out the top 2-3" of soil and fill it with coco husk. This is the same bedding used for frogs and other amphibians. This is just one way to do it:)
Where do you purchase coco husk? Can you include a link? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom