Rate my tank!

Inky

Established Member
What do you guys think of it?
im planning to get more mini trees and plants at the bottom of the tank and maybe some live plants but i wouldnt know where to get live plants and i wouldnt want to order them online , any ideas ?

thanks !!!

Attachments

• IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0412.JPG
    IMG_0412.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 204
Also the bowl at the bottom is only used to catch water from the dripper after the dripper sessions are done i empty them :)

Definitely get more plants whether real or fake. Is the Red light for just the day or night too? You don't want any light on at night for chameleons and if it is for day a general house light would work better and is cheaper. Also do you have a UVB Bulb? If not get one as you will definitely need it. Glass Tanks are not recommended for any chameleon species except Pygmy chameleons. The only glass thanks that are alright are ExoTerra ones if the tank is big enough. The issue with glass tanks is there is a lack of airflow and then it lead to an upper respiratory infection. I just want to make sure you know that the tank size you have now will not last him too long, likely until 9 months at the most . The dripper's output should be moved so that it drips onto the plants and runs down. Chameleons likely will not recognize the water dripping in the air as a source of water. They look for it on the surfaces of stuff. Have you read the useful guides on here? Also check out the other sections on there. Good luck with your chameleon! https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/ and https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/enclosures/

Definitely get more plants whether real or fake. Is the Red light for just the day or night too? You don't want any light on at night for chameleons and if it is for day a general house light would work better and is cheaper. Also do you have a UVB Bulb? If not get one as you will definitely need it. Glass Tanks are not recommended for any chameleon species except Pygmy chameleons. The only glass thanks that are alright are ExoTerra ones if the tank is big enough. The issue with glass tanks is there is a lack of airflow and then it lead to an upper respiratory infection. I just want to make sure you know that the tank size you have now will not last him too long, likely until 9 months at the most . The dripper's output should be moved so that it drips onto the plants and runs down. Chameleons likely will not recognize the water dripping in the air as a source of water. They look for it on the surfaces of stuff. Have you read the useful guides on here? Also check out the other sections on there. Good luck with your chameleon! https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/ and https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/enclosures/

more plants are on the way ! also the red light is only on during the day so he can bask and digest his food is tank is completely dark at night for about 10 hours , i have a fan that i was going to prop up to create air flow for the little guy , the tanke is pretty big it seems to me , and shes a female so she wont be as big as males . i will move that dripper now ! thank you

more plants are on the way ! also the red light is only on during the day so he can bask and digest his food is tank is completely dark at night for about 10 hours , i have a fan that i was going to prop up to create air flow for the little guy , the tanke is pretty big it seems to me , and shes a female so she wont be as big as males . i will move that dripper now ! thank you
Ok the fan will work as a substitute. It may be borderline big enough but usually height is more important to them and you can't just turn the tank on its side so it stands vertically with the opening being in the front as UVB doesn't pass through glass. I would recommend getting a larger cage but that is up to you as it is your pet. You have time before it would be recommended anyway.

Ok the fan will work as a substitute. It may be borderline big enough but usually height is more important to them and you can't just turn the tank on its side so it stands vertically with the opening being in the front as UVB doesn't pass through glass. I would recommend getting a larger cage but that is up to you as it is your pet. You have time before it would be recommended anyway.
Thank you so much !

I hioe you appreciate honesty...

- aquariums are for fish, not for chameleons.

- a fan is no replacement for proper ventilation and could introduce other issues like a draft if not used carefully.
As with all electronics they always fail when you can least use it and most likely youare on holiday. If you're gonna do it anyways look on how they do it with dartfrogs (which require way less ventilation)

- there's almost no branches, your chameleons day now is more or less like walking the same branch up and down over and over again.

- there's almost no cover, they are build to blend in, you should enable him to show his natural behaviour

- why a red light? Get a normal house hold bulb or a basking bulb. I hope you don't leave it on at night.

On the live plants, just get em wherever non toxic plant you can find and shower em of thoroughly. Cover the dirt up with some larger rocks so he cant accidently eat em.

Everyone the red light is for basking ! And I will be getting way more plants and branches today at east bay

Everyone the red light is for basking ! And I will be getting way more plants and branches today at east bay

Your goal should be to duplicate natural daylight as well as possible. The red light should be replaced with a white light whether it's a regular bulb or a spotlight type bulb. This is extremely important - the red bulb could have negative affects on him regardless of the temperature being right or not - it could even affect his perception or recognition of feeder insects.

Last edited:
Just ordered a new cage on dragon stand !

Which one did you order? I noticed that you asked about branches and plants, if you did not already order the Dragon Ledges for you cage I highly recommend doing so. I just upgraded from a 30",16",16" ReptiBreeze to the Medium Atrium (just finished yesterday) from Dragon Strand and the ledges make mounting pots and branches so much easier.

You can use a regular housebulb for basking. Not the curly ones, as they don't give off as much heat as the old fashioned bulbs. You will have to play around with the wattage to get the desired temperature you are looking for.. I never understood why they made red lights anyways. You want to replicate the sunshine.. White lights also brighten up the cage during the day! So glad you are taking everyone's advice and getting your chameleon out of that fish tank and into a screened cage. You are on the right track!

Which one did you order? I noticed that you asked about branches and plants, if you did not already order the Dragon Ledges for you cage I highly recommend doing so. I just upgraded from a 30",16",16" ReptiBreeze to the Medium Atrium (just finished yesterday) from Dragon Strand and the ledges make mounting pots and branches so much easier.
i got the medium size to ! but i didnt order ledges ! is it a must have ?

You can use a regular housebulb for basking. Not the curly ones, as they don't give off as much heat as the old fashioned bulbs. You will have to play around with the wattage to get the desired temperature you are looking for.. I never understood why they made red lights anyways. You want to replicate the sunshine.. White lights also brighten up the cage during the day! So glad you are taking everyone's advice and getting your chameleon out of that fish tank and into a screened cage. You are on the right track!
Anything for the little ones !

Awesome! Is it custom built or a kit? I am looking to buy a kit but not sure if it is the best decision... found a bunch of tutorials and advices about how to build the perfect chameleon cage from 0 but... as it is my first chameleon... I want to offer the lttle one the best home :) . Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom