Rate my enclosure!

Prichtofu

I'll be moving Twist into a bigger mesh enclosure within a month or two, but for now, let me know what I can do to make his current living situation better!

Attachments

• GrRyqAU.jpg
    GrRyqAU.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 197
More vines and hanging plants. Looks good though for sure. Plus when the big tank comes you won't have to buy as much to fill it up.
Or add an decently fit live plant in the center and call it a day with some vines.

I would add live plants to keep up the humidity, and also get rid of the substrate on the bottom. Bare bottoms are best for chameleons. When you upgrade I would also recommend getting an all screen cage or a cage with multiple sides that are screen.

If that is a water bowl on the bottom you do not need it. Chameleon do not drink watr fom a bowl like other animals. All the other informatio that was given to you is greath though.

Ditch the substrate, it can harbor bacteria and can also be accidentally ingested by your chameleon. The water bowl at the bottom is not necessary either, as Chameleons do not drink from stationary water. They will drink from mistings or any running water like from a dripper. You definitely want to add more plants/vines for your chameleon to climb around and hide in. If they're constantly exposed they will get very stressed, and thus make for a very unhappy chameleon.

There have been people recommending shotglasses and water bowls in chameleon cages lately (namely on the chameleon subreddit) which is very confusing to me. Yes, they do drink from water bowls and such if you "train" them to, but it does not seem like natural behavior. Plus, they'd rather poop in their water than drink it, from my experience. I would stick to misting the leaves heavily to get them to drink, it stimulates their natural response to start drinking when it rains and such.

Also, you'll want to ditch the substrate. If the cham eats any of that, they're in for a load of trouble / possible impaction. It is also a harbor for germs and other things, and if the bugs get out of the bowl, it gives them another place to hide, which is an obvious problem because that means your chameleon won't be able to find them! :O

Other than that, just make sure that as your chameleon grows, you provide it with a cage large enough for its needs. And if you ever have problems keeping up humidity for your little guy, try adding a live plant or two, but make sure to check the safe-list beforehand.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom