Rasta young veiled acting weird

Mobudz

Hello I am looking for help of all sorts.
A WEEK AGO Sunday we got a veiled cham and having no prior experience I’m kind of stuck.
The first day he was alright just a little bit of figuring out his new enclosure and getting comfortable. After the second day on the third day Rasta (the Cham) started acting weird. He started holding his front legs which I know is a sign of mbd. The only thing I can’t figure out is why he would be forming mbd only having him a week. We give him repti calcium without d3. We got reptivite with d3 today that we are going to start using once or twice a week. I figured out today from another forum we have the wrong uvb light which could also be a factor. I have read so much back and forth information I just don’t know what to think. We are getting him into a rep vet as soon as possible. We took him to a local pet store today preuss and they said he’s fine and we’re doing things right but clearly something is wrong. He has fallen 4 times from different locations in his cage. His legs aren’t spongy and giving out he’s just grabbing his front legs with his back making him not able to move. His eyes aren’t sunken or swollen and I haven’t seen any mucus or anything coming out of him. He will open his mouth sometimes after eating which I wonder if crickets are to big? Today he fell twice and just shut down afterwards trying to close his eyes and not move. I’m thinking the cage may be too big because he’s still just a little guy. Soldans the pet store we got Rasta from gave us no paperwork or anything on his age or gender. Sorry the information I gave is so scattered I’m writing it as I think of it. I just need help I don’t wanna lose the little guy an I will literally do whatever I have to just to make him healthy. I will attach images of his cage.
Feel free to throw questions or solutions at me please! I do also have a little glass cage like 16x12x12 or something just the little one. Wondering if I should put him in that until he gets better? I have also since these pictures added 2 more strands of the faux vine leaves. Working on getting live plants and eliminating the fake. The thing that confuses me most is he will hold his legs and either end up hanging or falling now If we catch him hanging we try to help him back up if he doesn’t get scared sometimes he does sometimes he doesn’t. But when he falls and at times when he’s hanging it’s like he just gives up all motivation to do anything and stops moving and he’s started to close his eyes I’m wondering if he’s closing his eyes because his uvb light doesn’t reach to where he fell? Which like I said I now know from a previous forum that I have the wrong uvb. And I need to get the 22” 10.0 bar light (can’t think of name) anyway He will sit there for about an hour or two where he fell or ended up and just not do anything. After about an hour or two he will act completely fine like nothing ever happened he will walk around his whole cage and bask and just be normal. Sometimes he will fall and not move so we will pull him from his cage and he will act fine like it never happened again. Sometimes he will fall and be looking around but won’t let go of his front legs for a long time. Again I’m sorry the information is scattered I wrote as it came in my head if there is anything that would help please say something. I’ve spent well over $300 on him within the week and two days we’ve had him and am not looking forwards to losing it. I will spend as much as is needed that’s not the problem my problem would be throwing money away and losing the Cham that already has me and my girlfriend attached. I do have another pet but it’s only in the room when we are and it’s a pit bull but the only thing he’s done is smell the cage one time and hasn’t even looked at it since.

Attachments

• 21ACA7ED-F56B-4E65-80D9-FDD77F3A173B.jpeg
    21ACA7ED-F56B-4E65-80D9-FDD77F3A173B.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 3DAF1BD8-07C7-4CCF-B85E-04A26082B735.jpeg
    3DAF1BD8-07C7-4CCF-B85E-04A26082B735.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 113
I got reptivite, repticalcium with d3 and a bottle without d3 cricket care also gut feed the crickets apples bananas and veggies and got reptisafe for the water picture attached for all.

Now I’m looking into a different brand of supplements which I will also include pictures for and I’m wondering what are thoughts on these or recommendations on what works best. Also thinking of adding a multivitamin to his diet in hopes of helping.
A6979F8D-DCA6-4C05-9D3E-7FBA11C4C921.png
9B9BCCC9-98E6-4E44-83A5-1EF7F95BCBE6.png
0A71861F-DC2E-4A03-91E0-C6402DDF2BB0.png
5469996B-9712-4C91-929F-6B26838276FA.png
FA00F452-A180-4AD1-A798-274C8F4FC280.png
DC865929-A871-4803-A977-FCBDAA56339D.png

I can take more pictures soon I will be home if needed but none of those are more than 8 days old. I have since the first two pictures of his cage added two more strands of leaves towards his basking spot.

Attachments

• 51E7753C-7FFA-414D-BA0C-A00A742FF48A.jpeg
    51E7753C-7FFA-414D-BA0C-A00A742FF48A.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 9DA936FB-5C55-4492-93B9-62BEDEA5193C.jpeg
    9DA936FB-5C55-4492-93B9-62BEDEA5193C.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 81F07049-A153-429D-A61D-95B7968AC01B.jpeg
    81F07049-A153-429D-A61D-95B7968AC01B.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 96
  • D6DD3188-6F05-4CE4-90E6-F6D369F4795E.jpeg
    D6DD3188-6F05-4CE4-90E6-F6D369F4795E.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 89
  • BA0CF8C2-7EC9-416D-AF60-B7CA227586C1.jpeg
    BA0CF8C2-7EC9-416D-AF60-B7CA227586C1.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 01CF6011-5F24-4FC4-BE0A-33B45EEAC01B.jpeg
    01CF6011-5F24-4FC4-BE0A-33B45EEAC01B.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 95
  • C2177C0C-ABC1-4E7B-A000-768AE4AE1D4E.jpeg
    C2177C0C-ABC1-4E7B-A000-768AE4AE1D4E.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 63353970-F3E6-4323-AC64-A1C6619F4088.jpeg
    63353970-F3E6-4323-AC64-A1C6619F4088.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 94
  • 97DC6ECC-358E-4A50-B084-6C8968E28FA4.jpeg
    97DC6ECC-358E-4A50-B084-6C8968E28FA4.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 90
  • E516F622-BC9C-49FE-B073-D05DC2B529BF.jpeg
    E516F622-BC9C-49FE-B073-D05DC2B529BF.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 94
No he will be chillin walking around his cage then just decides to grab his legs..
are you thinking over stressing him because that’s my biggest fear with him

No he will be chillin walking around his cage then just decides to grab his legs..
are you thinking over stressing him because that’s my biggest fear with him
This is him currently I moved him to his smaller cage today when he was acting worse than before.
Which I notice he’s shedding do they act out like this when shedding?
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 81
When he's grabbing his legs is it when he's trying to get away from you?
As I took those last two pictures he grabbed his front leg so I’m going to correct myself and say sometimes that’s when he grabs his legs yes. Other times he will be hanging out just chilling and be holding both front legs. Makes him very unstable and fall..

I think you’re right, he has the beginnings of mbd. Most likely the pet store didn’t have him under the right uvb either because it takes awhile for a Cham to develop this, it doesn’t happen over night. It would be a good idea to get him into a good reptile vet with Cham experience ASAP. The uvb light you need is a reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% long linear bulb and a T5ho fixture to put it in. It should be along enough to span the width of your cage. With that said you also need a 24x24x48 inch cage. That is the smallest recommended for a veiled chameleon. You wouldn’t want to put him in it yet since he’s falling a lot but you will need it when he’s better so get the light that fits the width of the larger cage. Please get his new light as soon as possible. You also should fill out the “ how to ask for help” form at the top of the health forum so we can get a clear picture of what’s going on along with pictures from top to bottom of your cage. This way we can help you figure out what’s wrong and how to fix it. Welcome by the way, you’ve come to the right place to get help! I’m going to tag some more people in to help you.
@kinyonga @MissSkittles @Beman

I think you’re right, he has the beginnings of mbd. Most likely the pet store didn’t have him under the right uvb either because it takes awhile for a Cham to develop this, it doesn’t happen over night. It would be a good idea to get him into a good reptile vet with Cham experience ASAP. The uvb light you need is a reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% long linear bulb and a T5ho fixture to put it in. It should be along enough to span the width of your cage. With that said you also need a 24x24x48 inch cage. That is the smallest recommended for a veiled chameleon. You wouldn’t want to put him in it yet since he’s falling a lot but you will need it when he’s better so get the light that fits the width of the larger cage. Please get his new light as soon as possible. You also should fill out the “ how to ask for help” form at the top of the health forum so we can get a clear picture of what’s going on along with pictures from top to bottom of your cage. This way we can help you figure out what’s wrong and how to fix it. Welcome by the way, you’ve come to the right place to get help! I’m going to tag some more people in to help you.
@kinyonga @MissSkittles @Beman
Thank you thank you I will get the light tomorrow first thing! I built a cage and wrapped the inside of it in vinyl pulled the glass out and put a screen in, also pulled off the back and put a screen in halfway up that, also put in a 2” vent along the top. The dimensions on the cage are 4ft x2ft x16” I will have my girlfriend fill out the health forum later and she said she can get him into a rep vet tomorrow that a local pet store gave us NOT the store we got him from. Now my next question.. do you have any preference on supplements and gut feeding and such?

Make sure you get the supplements spot on and the correct light ASAP. Is it warm enough for you to get your chameleon outside for a bit each day? Make sure you feed the insects well also.

Supplements...PHOS free calcium powder lightly dusted on the insects at all feedings but one a week. On that one feeding a week alternate between a PHOS free calcium/D3 powder lightly dusted in the is eats and a vitamin powder with a prEformed source of vitamin A and no D3.

Best UVB lights...reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% long linear tube light.

Insects such as crickets, superworms, roaches, locusts can be fed carrots, kale, collards, endive, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, etc.

All plants should be nontoxic real well washed both sides of the leaves.

Cage temperature/basking temperature is important for digestion, etc.

Water can be provided by a drip and a mister. Some people also fog at night if the temperatures are right.

Make sure you get the supplements spot on and the correct light ASAP. Is it warm enough for you to get your chameleon outside for a bit each day? Make sure you feed the insects well also.

Supplements...PHOS free calcium powder lightly dusted on the insects at all feedings but one a week. On that one feeding a week alternate between a PHOS free calcium/D3 powder lightly dusted in the is eats and a vitamin powder with a prEformed source of vitamin A and no D3.

Best UVB lights...reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% long linear tube light.

Insects such as crickets, superworms, roaches, locusts can be fed carrots, kale, collards, endive, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, etc.

All plants should be nontoxic real well washed both sides of the leaves.

Cage temperature/basking temperature is important for digestion, etc.

Water can be provided by a drip and a mister. Some people also fog at night if the temperatures are right.
I can’t take the Cham outside right now I live in Michigan so winter is about right next door sadly.. thank you for supplement help right now we have his basking spot around 85 and the bottom around 70 at night it’s all around 70 lowest it’s ever got was 65 and that was fixed. I mist his cage before work around 8am and have a dropper going when I leave and mist it when I get home and before bed. Humidity sits around 40% and spikes to around 65-70 when I mist. When lights are off and I mist before I go to sleep it goes up around 80 and back down through the night with a dropper going. I have a humidifier across the room that I put bottled water in.

Can you help me with the health forum I can’t find it..

Just copy and paste with your answers. :)
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

• I’ve had the Cham for 9 days today the store gave me no info but what what I’ve seen I think it’s a veiled I have no idea the sex or age.

• Rarely but the last 3 days a little more to help him when he falls we try not to knowing it stresses them unless they want to come out.

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
We are feeding the Cham a cricket base the store told us 6 a day so that’s what we were doing until I seen we need to feed it 10-20 I feed it about 5 when I get up for work around 8am and 3-5 more when I get home. Whatever he will take. We put sliced apples or bananas finding now we can use much more.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

• I dust them with the reptile calcium every feeding and reptile calcium with d3 on one now that we have got it. We also got the rep cal multi vitamin today but before today we didn’t have d3 calcium or multivitamin

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I have a little dripper that I let sit on throughout the day I also spray a mister spray bottle before work and after work and before bed each time I spray for about 1-2 minutes. I have seen him drink about 4 times since we got him about a week ago I have also watched him eat. Just got the reptisafe water stuff should I use that or no?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

• I have no idea of any tests for parasites and his droppings are brown with a little white at the end

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • I have no info on before I got him the store sent me without d3 and with the wrong light so I can’t imagine it was great for the Cham there. Since I got him he’s grabbed his own legs at first I thought it was to help him stabilize now I know better.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • The cage is a combo of wood and screen but the wood is sealed and covered with vinyl the dimensions are 4x2x16”
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

• Lighting schedule is 7:00am-7:00pm on timer Right now I have the zoo Med repti basking spot lamp 75watt with uva and zoo med low profile reptisun 10.0 uvb 13watt which I figured out the uvb is wrong.

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Cage floor temp is 65-73 basking spot is around 85 lowest overnight temp 65 I measure temperature with the plastic wall stick and thermometer top and bottom of cage

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

• Humidity levels sit around 30-45% but rise when I mist and drip to about 65-75%. When lights are off i mist the third time putting it around 80% as it goes down with the dripper on. I maintain levels by misting and dripping use a plastic hygrometer to measure humidity top and middle/lower cage

• Plants I am yet to get live plants I wanted to see what was safe and what had to be done in order to be safe.

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

• My cage is by a return air vent and my bedroom door but vent is closed top of cage is little over 4 ft from the floor

Northern Michigan upper United States

The problem I’m concerned with is what I think is mbd.. he’s been grabbing his own front feet since we got him and has started falling 2 or 3 days ago after he started falling he refused to move or do anything, another concern is making sure I have the right supplements and lights. Which I have had help with and am going to get not the acadia 6% but the other light I forget the name again and I’ve had help with gut loading and scheduling and such but no pointers on supplement brands. I am open to any help!

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

• I’ve had the Cham for 9 days today the store gave me no info but what what I’ve seen I think it’s a veiled I have no idea the sex or age.

• Rarely but the last 3 days a little more to help him when he falls we try not to knowing it stresses them unless they want to come out.

We are feeding the Cham a cricket base the store told us 6 a day so that’s what we were doing until I seen we need to feed it 10-20 I feed it about 5 when I get up for work around 8am and 3-5 more when I get home. Whatever he will take. We put sliced apples or bananas finding now we can use much more.

• I dust them with the reptile calcium every feeding and reptile calcium with d3 on one now that we have got it. We also got the rep cal multi vitamin today but before today we didn’t have d3 calcium or multivitamin

I have a little dripper that I let sit on throughout the day I also spray a mister spray bottle before work and after work and before bed each time I spray for about 1-2 minutes. I have seen him drink about 4 times since we got him about a week ago I have also watched him eat. Just got the reptisafe water stuff should I use that or no?

• I have no idea of any tests for parasites and his droppings are brown with a little white at the end

• I have no info on before I got him the store sent me without d3 and with the wrong light so I can’t imagine it was great for the Cham there. Since I got him he’s grabbed his own legs at first I thought it was to help him stabilize now I know better.

Cage Info:
  • The cage is a combo of wood and screen but the wood is sealed and covered with vinyl the dimensions are 4x2x16”

• Lighting schedule is 7:00am-7:00pm on timer Right now I have the zoo Med repti basking spot lamp 75watt with uva and zoo med low profile reptisun 10.0 uvb 13watt which I figured out the uvb is wrong.

Cage floor temp is 65-73 basking spot is around 85 lowest overnight temp 65 I measure temperature with the plastic wall stick and thermometer top and bottom of cage

• Humidity levels sit around 30-45% but rise when I mist and drip to about 65-75%. When lights are off i mist the third time putting it around 80% as it goes down with the dripper on. I maintain levels by misting and dripping use a plastic hygrometer to measure humidity top and middle/lower cage

• Plants I am yet to get live plants I wanted to see what was safe and what had to be done in order to be safe.

• My cage is by a return air vent and my bedroom door but vent is closed top of cage is little over 4 ft from the floor

The problem I’m concerned with is what I think is mbd.. he’s been grabbing his own front feet since we got him and has started falling 2 or 3 days ago after he started falling he refused to move or do anything, another concern is making sure I have the right supplements and lights. Which I have had help with and am going to get not the acadia 6% but the other light I forget the name again and I’ve had help with gut loading and scheduling and such but no pointers on supplement brands. I am open to any help!

--------------

Please Note:
35D23241-970F-44CA-9D2A-8B3C38E0179E.png
BDEDB62F-1290-4EA4-8526-7099153A0A56.jpeg
6B7D47D2-9908-40B3-A6A0-EBA7627F7E0D.jpeg
AE98AD17-B2B9-470B-9FBB-3C4EE6BD90B7.jpeg
C09D7D6F-6B73-4331-B117-63D9A2B4C445.jpeg
A77CEB8B-0CE6-4E16-A0A3-130A09B97A62.jpeg
E06230C9-90CA-4ACA-A17A-83FE35104428.jpeg
EA32B0D0-0097-44B5-8246-CC771ED16023.jpeg
73ED705A-63F4-48AA-8C82-FD8C9CFA2EDA.jpeg
F78399D3-9120-4221-B159-2638661E9075.jpeg

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
If near Preuss you are near Cedar Creek Animal Hospital, Dr Wayne Beasley is excellent tell him Dr Nemetz wife referred you

From this picture your baby is a male veiled-- spur is easily seen on back heel.

Any updates? For what it is worth- His back legs are swollen in other pictures (not this one) so I would think he has had to much calcium/vits for his age. I hope he is doing better. (y)

Attachments

• 1639016379758.png
    1639016379758.png
    1,011.3 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom