rarely eats

Tsukuyi

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Jackson Chameleon

Handling - rarely and when i need to clean his enclosure

Feeding - Crickets ( 6 daily ) and mealworms ( every other day )

Supplements - give him ReptoCal 3 times a week Reptivite every 2 weeks

Watering - The little dripper and Mist 3 times a day for 5 minutes

Fecal Description - normal but not often

History - never to have suffered

Cage Info:

Cage Type - 18"x18"x36" Reptibreeze

Lighting - Zoomed reptisun 5.0 and basking spot temp of 85

Temperature - 75 to 80 during the day 70 to 72 when i mist

Humidity - 60% to 80% he has live and fake plants ( live are pothos and umbrella )

Placement - in my room 8 feets away from the window

Location - Puerto Rico ( rural area )

Current Problem - i ve had him for 2 weeks now, hes very active constantly patrolling the enclosure from top to bottom by that i mean to the highest branch to lowest branch in the enclosure. Hes completely light green in the day but he seems to ignore hes food, i put the crickets in so he can get them some appear but other dont guessing he ate them but he looks kinda skinny to me. Hes my first chameleon

heres a pic of him, i have asked the store were i bought him but i dont trust them concerning animal health.
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/8104/picture104f.jpg

Chameleon Info:

Supplements - give him ReptoCal 3 times a week Reptivite every 2 weeks personally i would change this. LIGHTLY DUST plain phos free calcium every feeding, d3 twice a month and a multivitamin one a month. many on here dont supplement like this. they actually supplement less. do some more reasearch but i can tell you personally i would use reptivite maybe once a month.

Cage Info:

Humidity - 60% to 80% he has live and fake plants ( live are pothos and umbrella )

Current Problem - i ve had him for 2 weeks now, hes very active constantly patrolling the enclosure from top to bottom by that i mean to the highest branch to lowest branch in the enclosure. Hes completely light green in the day but he seems to ignore hes food, i put the crickets in so he can get them some appear but other dont guessing he ate them but he looks kinda skinny to me. Hes my first chameleon

heres a pic of him, i have asked the store were i bought him but i dont trust them concerning animal health.

make sure you get a fecal done ASAP. my guys love any worms. try some supers if they are available. for mine i put them on the screen and 10 out of 10 times they come running.

Chameleon Info:

Supplements - give him ReptoCal 3 times a week Reptivite every 2 weeks

Cage Info:

He looks great to me!!! This is what I think of when I think of a Jacksons! IMO, I see a few fat Jacksons with edema on the forums here and there. Its quite sad actually. Over feeding and over supplementing is what causes it.

Your temps, humidity and lighting are good. As was said, some supplement differently. Montane species like the Jacksons are susceptible to over supplementing issues. I was talking to a friend about this the other day but Ill try to explain how I do things when it comes to supplementing and feeding. I do not have a real schedule its just what I feel like doing that day.

I only dust with phosphorus free calcium powders. I dust plain calcium very lightly at most feedings but will randomly skip a feeding day or two here and there. If my animals are being housed mostly inside then I dust with a D3 calcium once every 1.5 to 2 months. My animals do receive plenty of sunshine in the warmer months. I do not use a multivitamin. Instead I go for a well balanced nutritional gut load to provide vitamins and other nutrition. If you notice him getting swollen around his throat area slack off on the supplementing. If that doesnt make it go down then start looking at your gut loading.

I feed around 6 appropriate sized feeders or equivalent to every other day. I skip 3 or even sometimes more days here and there too. Maybe Ill toss 3 crickets in one day and then again the next. Its all about keeping them wondering when and where the food is. You dont want a lazy fat lizard lurking above a feeding cup all day.

Every animal is different. The whole thing is to get a feel for the animal its self. Maybe it takes 8 insects every two days to keep him at a good weight etc.

I feed various WC insects along with commercial flies and crickets. Ill feed various species of spiders, hoppers, moths, hoppers etc. The key is to know they are collected from a pesticide free place and that the bugs themselves are not poisonous or eat toxic plants.

Being active is great and a sign of good health!! You might try to give him a bigger cage but if he is not scratching or trying to get out of the cage then he is just patrolling. Searching for the ladies:D

Here is a good article with some nice healthy looking specimen to judge yours by.
http://chameleonnews.com/10JulManchen.html

Back
Top Bottom