Random question thats been on my mind

Vert340

Established Member
Earlier today I saw a veiled at petco and I for some reason started thinking about the temperature here in washington and the temperture required for veilds. During the winter here temperatures get to like 15 degrees to 30 degrees Fahrenheit. So then I started wondering about how important temperature is.

So my question is what happeneds to a chameleon when they get cold and stay cold for a while. Do they just die or start developing some issues? I know i brought up veilds, but I'd be interested in learning about how any species gets affected by being cold for a while.

Usually this is something I'd Google since it's something I'm randomly curious about, but i didn't really find any answers, so I thought that I'd give it a go here and see what answers I can get. Especially since many of you guys here are long time chameleon keepers.

Well like most reptiles their metabolism will start to slow but since chameleons are from Madagascar or Yemen or any other warmer places most species maybe all of them don't go into brumation. I'd be curious to know what happens after the metabolism slows but my best educational guess would be that they'd lose their appetites and their organs start to function incorrectly due to malnutrition

Earlier today I saw a veiled at petco and I for some reason started thinking about the temperature here in washington and the temperture required for veilds. During the winter here temperatures get to like 15 degrees to 30 degrees Fahrenheit. So then I started wondering about how important temperature is.

So my question is what happeneds to a chameleon when they get cold and stay cold for a while. Do they just die or start developing some issues? I know i brought up veilds, but I'd be interested in learning about how any species gets affected by being cold for a while.

Usually this is something I'd Google since it's something I'm randomly curious about, but i didn't really find any answers, so I thought that I'd give it a go here and see what answers I can get. Especially since many of you guys here are long time chameleon keepers.
I live in florida and there are tons of chameleons down in south Florida just like the iguanas. So i believe it was last winter or the winter before that , that we had the bad freeze and chameleons and iguanas were falling out of the trees frozen. But they actual would start to warm up and were still alive. So i would assume though that being exposed to the cold too long would eventually kill them. If they can die from too much heat well obviously the cold would kill them.

If there is food in the belly, and the animal stays below 65f during the day for a week, well that food is still in the belly rotting away...

Even when its 45 at night, normally day time sun lets them get above 75 for a few hours, thats all they need to "survive" for a month or so during the cold season.

Back
Top Bottom