Random(ish) question...

AllFallDown

Well, we are within a delta-neighborhood of my birthday (glances around to see if anyone caught the reference). I am kind of tempted to get an Iguana. I have almost everything I need, basically just need another UVB bulb.
That, or I could save those funds (and space) toward another cham down the road. I do want to get an iguana at some point but also want to get a nosy be and female veiled as well (want to wait on those as I am still a Jedi apprentice).

whats the question? should you get a cham or an iguana? iguanas need huge cages you realize this right? like id say 4x4x8 foot minimum, thats what i used for my savannah.....

and i didnt get the reference....delta delta delta? nine? confused

Well, we are within a delta-neighborhood of my birthday (glances around to see if anyone caught the reference). I am kind of tempted to get an Iguana. I have almost everything I need, basically just need another UVB bulb.
That, or I could save those funds (and space) toward another cham down the road. I do want to get an iguana at some point but also want to get a nosy be and female veiled as well (want to wait on those as I am still a Jedi apprentice).

You do know iguana's can be pretty nasty right? They can inflict real damage, not saying you shouldn't get one just don't know your experience.

whats the question? should you get a cham or an iguana? iguanas need huge cages you realize this right? like id say 4x4x8 foot minimum, thats what i used for my savannah.....

and i didnt get the reference....delta delta delta? nine? confused

Oh yes, I am definitely aware of the size requirements (that's part of my concern). My intent was to start in a smaller enclose and the build a larger one sometime this summer when I build the new one for the veiled cham.

I have just been toying with the idea of an iguana.

Don't get an iguana. Mine is now 18 years old, so I have a lot of experience. Not only is size a major consideration, but their attitude is as well. They start off as small and sweet but even with daily handling at just a few years old they are huge and turn into terrors. They have sharp claws that rake you even if trimmed anytime you try to hold them at all, teeth that take off big chunks of flesh, and a very strong tail that works incredibly well as a whip. And they go from being nice and sweet to being ready to destroy you if you look at them. I'm the only one who can handle her safely. She has a huge outdoor cage but she still has to come inside for a month or two in the winter. I love my monster but I don't recommend iguanas for most people. Are you prepared for a four foot long monster for a very long time?

If you want something big AND friendly I highly recommend an Argentine black and white Tegu! You can start off in a small tank while it's a baby and they can actually live in the house like a dog once they are big enough! My friend has 2, one 5 ft and one 7 ft.

Extreme giant tegu...
Tame as dogs and largest of the tegu species. I want one of these. About 5-6fy long and 25lbs
aefe0084-41ae-7e7f.jpg

If you want something big AND friendly I highly recommend an Argentine black and white Tegu! You can start off in a small tank while it's a baby and they can actually live in the house like a dog once they are big enough! My friend has 2, one 5 ft and one 7 ft.

Extreme giant tegu...
Tame as dogs and largest of the tegu species. I want one of these. About 5-6fy long and 25lbs

Thank you for the suggestion! I will definitely be considering that.

Don't get an iguana. Mine is now 18 years old, so I have a lot of experience. Not only is size a major consideration, but their attitude is as well. They start off as small and sweet but even with daily handling at just a few years old they are huge and turn into terrors. They have sharp claws that rake you even if trimmed anytime you try to hold them at all, teeth that take off big chunks of flesh, and a very strong tail that works incredibly well as a whip. And they go from being nice and sweet to being ready to destroy you if you look at them. I'm the only one who can handle her safely. She has a huge outdoor cage but she still has to come inside for a month or two in the winter. I love my monster but I don't recommend iguanas for most people. Are you prepared for a four foot long monster for a very long time?

Thanks Ferret (hey, you wanna talk about little terrors- Ferrets!!! Little monsters!!)

I tried having an iguana years ago. There is a long story behind that which I will save for another time. At the time I did a lot of research on them. I do recall, now that people here have mentioned it, that they can develop attitudes. To be honest, I had forgotten how bad it can be (The iguana ended up dying, also a long story I will spare everyone one). I do like iguanas a lot and do not mind big scary monsters at all. However I do have a 2 year old running around, perhaps an iguana is not the best idea given that situation. Maybe when my daughter gets a little older we can get one- it would be a good experience for her and might teach her about caring for more wild animals (and how to properly approach them). I don't want her to be afraid of such creatures but I do want her to respect them and feel comfortable with them (at an appropriate distance).

Maybe a bearded dragon then? Or one of those Tegus mentioned below (God those look cool!)

"Are you prepared for a four foot long monster for a very long time?"
4 ft monster for a long time- yes
one that might bite my kid.... probably not

Thanks Ferret (hey, you wanna talk about little terrors- Ferrets!!! Little monsters!!)

I tried having an iguana years ago. There is a long story behind that which I will save for another time. At the time I did a lot of research on them. I do recall, now that people here have mentioned it, that they can develop attitudes. To be honest, I had forgotten how bad it can be (The iguana ended up dying, also a long story I will spare everyone one). I do like iguanas a lot and do not mind big scary monsters at all. However I do have a 2 year old running around, perhaps an iguana is not the best idea given that situation. Maybe when my daughter gets a little older we can get one- it would be a good experience for her and might teach her about caring for more wild animals (and how to properly approach them). I don't want her to be afraid of such creatures but I do want her to respect them and feel comfortable with them (at an appropriate distance).

Maybe a bearded dragon then? Or one of those Tegus mentioned below (God those look cool!)

"Are you prepared for a four foot long monster for a very long time?"
4 ft monster for a long time- yes
one that might bite my kid.... probably not

Iguana's are not for children, they can easily de-glove a finger or hand.

Oh if you have a 2 year old then DEFINITELY do not get an iguana!! Beardies are great for kids though!

I have pretty much written Iguanas off for now.

Yeah, I have looked at beardies a few times. I have been told they are very friendly. I am really liking these Argintine Tegus now that I am looking at them. I have a thing for larger lizards.

Back
Top Bottom