Ben28tx

My one year old female just died
She was alive just earlier
She’s is an outside chameleonget
Get plenty of sun
PLENTY of water!
Supplements!
Was super healthy

The only think I can think about it cus she went JUST 3 days without food!?!?!?
Today woulda been day 3 barely
She never gone 3 days without food

Even dead she looked healthy

It wasn’t the heat I don’t think cus it’s been way hotter than this

THERE IS SOME BLACK TINY ANTS in her plants but they weren’t on her when I found her either

So confused??

Wow, I’m so sorry! I have no Idea why she died either. It’s a bit of a mystery. If you want to fill out the husbandry form maybe some one can go over it with you and see if there are any clues.

Get plenty of sun
PLENTY of water!
Supplements!
Was super healthy

THERE IS SOME BLACK TINY ANTS in her plants but they weren’t on her when I found her either

So confused??

Attachments

• F747DF14-E9CE-4F91-A440-53666CEB23A3.jpeg
    F747DF14-E9CE-4F91-A440-53666CEB23A3.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 65
I think she was way too tiny for these huge eggs. She ate a lot, maybe made her eggs too huge. She was the runt. The pet store had her in her own cage when I got her last summer cuz her siblings were out competing her for food

Get plenty of sun
PLENTY of water!
Supplements!
Was super healthy

So confused??

So sorry for your loss. Keep her in your heart.

Did you have a laybin in her cage outside?
Did she lay eggs before?
Did she have shade in some area of the cage?
Water available?

Did she lay eggs before?
Water available

Did she lay eggs before?
Water available?
plenty of shade
Plenty of shade.
Plenty of water, she had her own Waterhose..
It was 93 degrees so Cooler than other days..
I added a payload of extra soft soil on top of her plant so she can easily lay the eggs👍🏽
It woulda been her first clutch.
Those eggs look big for her little body but I’m not an expert at THAT particular thing

The "eggs" do look big...but I think they also look like they are too round to be considered eggs yet...so she may be suffering from follicular stasis. I'm not a vet though and can only give my opinion.

How much did you feed her in a week?

First off, I'm so sorry for your loss. She looks beautiful even in death. I bet she enjoyed her time being an outside chameleon under the wonderful sun!

I think she was way too tiny for these huge eggs. She ate a lot, maybe made her eggs too huge. She was the runt. The pet store had her in her own cage when I got her last summer cuz her siblings were out competing her for food
I think you hit the nail on the head. Female veiled chameleons are notorious for getting egg-bound. Too much food leads to large clutches which can create serious health concerns such as egg-binding.

Food + heat exacerbates this issue. So if you are keeping her outside where it gets 93F+ and feeding her daily, the clutch size will be quite large.

But now you know. Don't let her death be in vein. Continue to keep chameleons, but just implement the necessary changes.

Additionally, 93F is quite hot. Was she in partial/full shade during the hottest part of the day?

Been on this site for 3+ years and you seem to have basic veiled cham keeping completely off. 93 on a cool day? Feeding a female daily?

First off, I'm so sorry for your loss. She looks beautiful even in death. I bet she enjoyed her time being an outside chameleon under the wonderful sun!

I think you hit the nail on the head. Female veiled chameleons are notorious for getting egg-bound. Too much food leads to large clutches which can create serious health concerns such as egg-binding.

Food + heat exacerbates this issue. So if you are keeping her outside where it gets 93F+ and feeding her daily, the clutch size will be quite large.

But now you know. Don't let her death be in vein. Continue to keep chameleons, but just implement the necessary changes.

Additionally, 93F is quite hot. Was she in partial/full shade during the hottest part of the day?
Tysm! N yes shade was available for her

That might have been part of the problem sad to say.

She should have been fed only two or three times a week and only 3 or 4 insects per feeding.
Noted Tysm appreciate it. I thought I read chameleons under 1 should eat everyday. Dammit!!!

Male veileds might get away with eating every day...but it's not good for females. Overeating leads to obesity, follicular stasis, MBD, prolapses, eggbinding (dystocia), etc. Higher temperatures play a part in it too.

There's a learning curve and too much incorrect information out there, sadly.

Sorry to hit you with all of this when you've just lost your beautiful female, but I don't want to see it happen again if you get another one. There's a lot to learn. Husbandry needs to be right on...and then they can live a good long life.

Back
Top Bottom