Rampholeon acuminatus most endangered pygmy?

aeolis23

I'm absolutely in love with R. acuminatus, and would just love to keep some! But is it true that this is one of the most endangered species in nature of all pygmus that are circulating on the market?

CITES makes me laugh and shake my head sometime. They are here to prevent the demise of the worlds wildlife through regulating the trade of wildlife markets with the emphasis of conserving endangered species long term. However CITES allows the trade of IUCN Red Listed Endangered and possibly (except if Biologist resurrect extinct species through cloning)the most threatened status of Critically Endangered chameleon species. CITES how is making trade of these species going to contribute to the conservation of Endangered, Critically Endangered species and their habitat? There is none. These Critically Endangered species that are having enough trouble staying alive in their native habitats let alone abroad in the worlds chameleon keeping hobby. How is extra collecting and trade of an exceedingly decreasing population going to conserve these species and their already declining native habitat?

Again I say we should conserve these species in their native habitat and delist these species to non threatened listing Vulnerable or higher. This before making quotas of species that were once Endangered or Critically Endangered. As of now we keepers have not earned the privilege of keeping these Endangered species in the hobby yet. This is an accurate statement Endangered species recoveries happen. CITES has the steps to this procedure not done correctly. Here is an analogy I offer to you. You have got too make then bake a cake before you can eat a cake. If the cake is done improperly the recipe won't make it to a stage worth making a desert out of.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
I can tell you from actually visiting the area's that hold acuminatus that it is not a rare species. The species has a small range and is very vunerable to pressures put on the forests. Incroachment by locales for farming is the central issue.
The Nguru and Nguu mountains receive no formal goverment protections. The few protected areas are near and around villages. These are water catchment area's and it is up to the villages to regulate and protect if they want to have access to clean drinkable water.

Carl

CITES makes me laugh and shake my head sometime. They are here to prevent the demise of the worlds wildlife through regulating the trade of wildlife markets with the emphasis of conserving endangered species long term. However CITES allows the trade of IUCN Red Listed Endangered and possibly (except if Biologist resurrect extinct species through cloning)the most threatened status of Critically Endangered chameleon species. CITES how is making trade of these species going to contribute to the conservation of Endangered, Critically Endangered species and their habitat? There is none. These Critically Endangered species that are having enough trouble staying alive in their native habitats let alone abroad in the worlds chameleon keeping hobby. How is extra collecting and trade of an exceedingly decreasing population going to conserve these species and their already declining native habitat?

Again I say we should conserve these species in their native habitat and delist these species to non threatened listing Vulnerable or higher. This before making quotas of species that were once Endangered or Critically Endangered. As of now we keepers have not earned the privilege of keeping these Endangered species in the hobby yet. This is an accurate statement Endangered species recoveries happen. CITES has the steps to this procedure not done correctly. Here is an analogy I offer to you. You have got too make then bake a cake before you can eat a cake. If the cake is done improperly the recipe won't make it to a stage worth making a desert out of.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
I agree quite alot with you in this one.

It's a tough situation when you think about it: our planet is going through the 6th mass extinction in its 4 BBbbbillion year history.. It's not a common event. However, after each mass extinction new species appear (some new forms of life never seen before) and the planet somehow reemerges with a wild variety of speciation.

Personally, I think the people who can recognize this need to do whatever they can, in whatever little way possible to help. I keep a native butterfly garden. I hope it helps to create some habitat for them. Other people can actually get into conservation and breeding to help preserve a population. Chams are most likely easily reintroduced into the wild. So, although I agree that the environment should be protected.. Sadly, these changes are likely going to happen. If a group of people can preserve this species to either later introduce to this area.. Or possibly another suitable place.. I say do it.

One thing that I think MUST be done is to preserve any species that is the last remaining member of its entire Family or Order. For example, the Leatherback Sea turtle. It is the LAST surviving member of the Family Dermochelyidae. The Leatherback, not only the worlds largest sea turtle, is also the most ancient species of sea turtle. They have been around for over 100 million years. They survived the dinosaur extinction. But sadly, I don't know if they will survive another 100 years without help.

Here's a link:

http://m.livescience.com/27519-pacific-leatherback-turtle-decline.html

Back
Top Bottom