Raleigh: Chameleon selection and husbandry talk

I will be doing a talk (probably both days, maybe not) at the NC reptile and exotic animal show next weekend, at the NC State fairgrounds, in Raleigh.

It will be focused on chameleon selection, care, NEEDS and basic requirements, myths, etc. If anyone has any ideas, and would like to see a certain topic of chameleon husbandry addressed, let me know - I could always use hints!

I started another thread in the lizard lounge:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/nc-reptile-show-raleigh-24020/

It's slightly off-topic, so I figured I'd post a more general-discussion topic here, where it shows upon the main page!

I hope to see some of you at the show. Going through some tough personal stuff right now, and talking about tree-lizards always helps.

Eric A

I posted this 10:30AM. East cost. Hehe.

I might get into it a bit, epescially when explaining behavior and biology.

I did this at the first Raleigh show in the new building - 3-4 years ago, I guess. All my other presentatons have been for the herp society or in front of crowds at the reptile and amphibian day, which is an educational only event.

The other ones have a powerpoint presentation, this will not. I've been using the slideshow less and less each time. For this one, I'll address basic topics, and probably spend the majority of the time going over details of "how to pick a healthy chameleons" and "what you NEED to keep you chameleon healthy" - with questions thrown in throughout.

I wil be bringing up with me a couple melleri, one or two veileds and hopefully other species if I can aquire them at the show for demo purposes.

Most of my talks have been on education and information. This will have some of that, but the focus is going to be on keeping chameleons in captivity, so it's got a higher level of detail in some areas.

do you ever talk about the progression and evolution of chameleon keeping?

ive been wondering about this lately,you know going back to what the first methods were and what the results were, on to current methods and results.

do you ever get into controversial topics, like vit a, substrate, banned species ect??

Well, I don't think those issues are controversial. Banned species are just that. Vitamin A is needed, and we must provide it. There are several ways to do it. I usually explain the reasons why it's touchy, explain how people do it, and then explain in detail how I do it, which is the only way I know works with 100% certainty. Everyone else could be lying! hehe.

Substrate is a simple issue. Looks vs. function. Some are potentially hazardous (chopped bark and wood chips, sand and gravel), others are just more trouble than they're worth(some mosses, soil substrate, potentially). I usually do explain these things.

In the end, I recommend what I have done, as it is the only method I can really justify to my own satisfaction.

Smooth, non-porous bottom with or without paper on top. Mosses, soil, etc. All ok, but can get wet and messy.

Esentially, I do not tell people what to do and what NOT to do - I explain the reasons why, and they usually understand enough to shy away from potentially pain-in-the-rear situations.

Back
Top Bottom