Raised yellow and orange dots on skin ?

Saltysidedish

Hi, I am new here.
This is my big boy Hades. We adopted him as an adult about three weeks ago.

He is our first chameleon so prior to bringing him home, we had researched husbandry, but I didn’t know what to look for on his body or personality to know if he was healthy to start. I was assured by the pet store that they raised them and take care of them, but I’m starting to seriously doubt that.

Now that we are settled in, I’m starting to noticed a few problems with him that he came with that I didn’t recognize to ask about when we adopted him.

First of all one of his wrist is swollen and none of the other ones are.

Second he has little raised yellow and orange dots, when we first got him I just attributed that to being a Chamaeleon but I have since learned that the information of these raised dots is very far and few in between. Read anything from cancer to fungus to pappiloma.

We have recently moved his cage outside to make sure he gets a lot more positive sunlight and he seems happier.

I have found a few vets locally that will see him, and I am going to make sure that gets done, however most of what I see is they do skin scrapings and then still do a guesstimate of him being ok or not-

I’m coming to you fine people to ask if anyone has seen this on a chameleon in the past. If anything I’d like to go armed with a few ideas because it does not seem that any vets here specialize.

chronically my sister-in-law is also that but she said she doesn’t know much about reptiles.

Attachments

• 0532B006-EFF1-4B4C-B580-154F5F8146CD.jpeg
    0532B006-EFF1-4B4C-B580-154F5F8146CD.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 171
  • F49531AA-9DC5-4BE7-BD99-FAF4A6B16B16.jpeg
    F49531AA-9DC5-4BE7-BD99-FAF4A6B16B16.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 6C9607F3-F70B-46D0-9004-48DB4FE420DB.jpeg
    6C9607F3-F70B-46D0-9004-48DB4FE420DB.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 4B31357C-2891-4892-8E7D-08199CAA2C5E.jpeg
    4B31357C-2891-4892-8E7D-08199CAA2C5E.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 146
Hi, I am new here.
This is my big boy Hades. We adopted him as an adult about three weeks ago.

He is our first chameleon so prior to bringing him home, we had researched husbandry, but I didn’t know what to look for on his body or personality to know if he was healthy to start. I was assured by the pet store that they raised them and take care of them, but I’m starting to seriously doubt that.

Now that we are settled in, I’m starting to noticed a few problems with him that he came with that I didn’t recognize to ask about when we adopted him.

First of all one of his wrist is swollen and none of the other ones are.

Second he has little raised yellow and orange dots, when we first got him I just attributed that to being a Chamaeleon but I have since learned that the information of these raised dots is very far and few in between. Read anything from cancer to fungus to pappiloma.

We have recently moved his cage outside to make sure he gets a lot more positive sunlight and he seems happier.

I have found a few vets locally that will see him, and I am going to make sure that gets done, however most of what I see is they do skin scrapings and then still do a guesstimate of him being ok or not-

I’m coming to you fine people to ask if anyone has seen this on a chameleon in the past. If anything I’d like to go armed with a few ideas because it does not seem that any vets here specialize.

chronically my sister-in-law is also that but she said she doesn’t know much about reptiles.
  • Your Chameleon - veiled - they told us he is a year old ( I doubt that) and he is male
  • Handling - only when necessary- we don’t hold him at all but have moved him out of cage in a few occasions
  • Feeding - I purchase feeders - Hornworms, crickets, superworms and roaches - he eats every couple days but I offer food daily
  • Supplements - I have to double check it, it’s a calcium sprinkle- flukers I think it’s called
  • Watering - We have we have a drip daily as well as misting 3 times a day - Now that he’s outside we have much more control of a heavier misseNow that he’s outside we have much more control of a heavier mist
  • Fecal Description - urate is orange and white (orange on one end - white on the other)
  • History - see full explanation

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen extra tall cage - two combined - we remove the screen between them so it’s double
  • Lighting - had a t5 and a basking light but I bet he’s outside, we just use good old mother nature
  • Humidity - Have a temperature gauge I purchased from the pet store and humidity runs about 70% outside
  • Plants - yes - I believe they are all forms of the dracaena family, I checked with an online list of safe plants first
  • Placement - outside
  • Location - north Florida

You really do need a good chameleon vet IMHO. Th wrist could be gout or a break from a fall or a number of things and we can only take our best guess.

Same for the spots. Im not a vet....but it looks more like pappiloma than fungus, etc.

Answering the questions might help...and at least we can see what might need correcting.

Hope you can get it sorted out.

Back
Top Bottom