Rainbow Jackson Chameleon Eye Problems

Subactae

Hello,

I recently got a Rainbow Jackson Chameleon. A good friend of mine at a reptile store I've been going to forever got him from the breeder. This process took basically a whole day so he spent one night at the store. When I picked him up this past Sunday he did look very stressed. He seemed to have one closed eye at the time but he would open and close it. I figured this may be related to stress, as he was very dark and I figured the transportation from the breeder would cause stress. Now its been about half a week. He definitely seems to be doing much better. he's very active in the afternoons, and while I haven't observed him eating I have seen a few decent sized poops in the enclosure that I have spot cleaned out. Even with all this he still has the one right eye shut or squinted. My main question is really at what point should I become concerned and take him to a vet? I've read online that there's a number of different reason that could cause this, those being vitamin a deficiency, some kind of irritation, poor husbandry, or at worst an eye infection. Here's a little about my setup to clarify things (although he's only been with me a few days):

Bioactive (cycled 6 months prior to getting him)
2 x 2 x 4 Reptibreeze
duel mist kings on top (goes off 3x a day with the morning and evening ones being a bit longer)
Jungle Dawn LED Bar
Arcadia t5 6% shade dweller raised 2.5 inches off top screen
Deep heat projector for basking with a thermostat to keep it at 85
Plants (umbrella tree, small ficus, pothos, purple waffle plant)
Using Arcadia Earth pro a and repashy multivitamin to dust feeders (crickets and superworms)
Home made dripper
Feeding station

If there's anything further i can try to provide info. I did my best to do my research before getting him, but I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid or if there is an issue that needs attached a few pictures to try and help, and any advice would be very welcome. professional care. I've
SmartSelect_20211213-085547_Snapchat.jpg
20211215_193058.jpg
20211215_193137.jpg
20211215_193201.jpg
SmartSelect_20211213-085525_Snapchat.jpg

I‘m not super experienced with Jackson‘s, nor do I know enough about Earth Pro A to comment on it definitively. I’m hoping someone with a bit more experience with both will chime in, but I did want to say that you’ll want to take him to vet as soon as you can. His enclosure is well planted and temps/lighting appear to be correct. It could be an eye infection, or any number of things (like debris stuck in the eye) which of course could get progressively worse. Having dealt with eye issues myself, the best thing you can do is have him looked over by a vet with chameleon experience. Also get fecal done on him and have him tested for parasites, since he’s new :)

Also wanted to mention! Fill out a husbandry form and hopefully someone with a bit more jackson’s experience can help you out.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Last edited:
Also wanted to mention! Fill out a husbandry form and hopefully someone with a bit more jackson’s experience can help you out.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male Rainbow Jackson chameleon, have had him since sun December 12
  • Handling - Not at all so far, giving him time to acclimate to new environment
  • Feeding - Currently I've been putting crickets in Mon ad wednesday dusted with Arcadia EarthproA. Friday i do superworms (same dusting). I also have repashy multivitamin that I plan to use once I confirm hes eating out of the feeding station. Both feeders are gut loaded with bio dude bug grub, carrots, or cantaloupe.
  • Supplements - See above
  • Watering - I use a mistking that goes off for 1:45 every morning and night. One goes off in the afternoon for 45 seconds.
  • Fecal Description - I've seen two poops since I got him, nothing seemed out of the ordinary, but I haven't tested him for parasites.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze 2 x 2 x 4 screen cage (bioactive). Using bio dudes bag so it the bottom foot is a substrate bag.
  • Lighting - Arcadia t5 6% shade dweller, Jungle dawn led, deep heat projector on a thermostat. Lights are on a 12 hour cycle using timers.
  • Temperature - Basking gets to 85 with a thermostat, normal temp is around 70-74, night temps get between 65-68. Been using the thermostat to check temps
  • Humidity - Im still waiting on a hygrometer in the mail, will reply with more info once i get it hooked up
  • Plants - Umprella plant, small ficus, purple waffle plant, pothos
  • Placement - In my room, but I work so I'm usually out of my room most of the day
  • Location - Southwest Michigan

I would also work on getting your night temps into the 55-65 range. It is imperative that Jackson's have these night temp drops. Being as he came from an expo I would go ahead and do a dusting in the multivitamin. Many times Jackson's at expos have not had proper supplementation.

Back
Top Bottom