Rain water.

sbristow

I have a question that I'd like to ask members. I use a drip system for my Panthers. The water drips onto a Ficus where the Chameleons drink the droplets. My question is whether I should provide rain water or tap water? Tap water has the usual chemicals added whereby rain water does not, there is however the possibility of contaminants in the water. Just throwing the question to a wider forum..

Weird.... when I posted my first comment there, the question wasn't written out and only said "I have a question that I'd like to ask members."

... odd.

Anyways, any water will do really. If it is tap water and your water has lots of bad chemicals in it, you might want to use some Reptisafe in it. Spring water, distilled water, R.O. water..... all those work as well. Rain water is pretty natural so I'd bet that would work... but how would you go about acquiring it if it doesn't happen to rain for a week or so?

I have a question that I'd like to ask members. I use a drip system for my Panthers. The water drips onto a Ficus where the Chameleons drink the droplets. My question is whether I should provide rain water or tap water? Tap water has the usual chemicals added whereby rain water does not, there is however the possibility of contaminants in the water. Just throwing the question to a wider forum..
There are many threads discussing tap water, so I'd suggest doing a forum search about it. It depends on what's in your tap water...treatment chemicals such as chlorine, chloramines (NOT the same thing), fluorides, etc. Call your water utility to find out. If they use straight chlorine you can deal with that more easily than chloramines which will require you to inactivate it with a product such as ReptiSafe.

Rain water can be affected by the roof surface it runs off of before it gets to your rain barrel, and by air pollution, but frankly, the amount of pollutants will be small most likely, unless you live in a really dirty industrial area. Rainwater won't have much mineral content, but chams in the wild are drinking this as well. So called "bottled" or "spring" water is safe for consumption, but it can be high in minerals that make it taste better. The minerals may eventually clog auto mister nozzles, foggers, or pumps or build up on your cage plants. You can dissolve the deposits with vinegar.

Back
Top Bottom