Rain System

Littlehorn

Hello all.

I'm looking for some insight on making a Rain System. So currently I already have a mister, at it's working fine. But I need a rain system to really simulate raining in a large custom build cage.
I have already started some DIY experiment, but the system just doesn't do itz job. What I have now is I have thin rubber tubing running around the top of the cage in a zig-zag pattern, I punctured some really small holes with a needle along the tube. And I connect the tube to a pump which runs 100L/hr but can push the water up 7 feet to the top of my cage.
The problems I face now:
1./ After using the system twice, water ain't coming out from the tubing anymore, the holes seems to be stuck. I tried to clean it with vinegar (no success)
2./ Because the pump is constantly under a lot of pressure, it seems to burn out very easily. I can change to a much high-power pump, but the water will not be water drops, instead it will be a jet of water coming out of the tubing holes.

The reason why I want this system is because my mister is working too well, and it really just send of mist. It could simulate what it is like in the morning where chameleon lives. But it does not simulate the rain. I just want a system in which I can run for 30mins; twice in a week to simulate a rainfall.
*Drainage will not be a problem, I have build drainage directly to the pipes. And I also have another end where I can collect some of the water where I can re-use for my plants around the house.
* I have a total of 7 cages (6x3x7feet) and I'm willing to work my way around to have a separate system for each cage. But of course it will be best if I can connect all the systems and have just 1 water source.

Hope someone can help me...

on a system that large how about hooking an outside type water connection to it with a timer like they use for a sprinkler system.

At home improvement stores the sell soaker hoses. I can't remember the exact name but it's basically a hose made of water permeable material. Would do exactly what you need. You shouldn't need more pressure than whatever a regular tap puts out either.

I had a similiar rain system set up. You'll need bigger holes in your rubber tubing to keep them from clogging. I used a drill bit & drilled holes through the tubing. Be careful balance of the hole size though.... if you make them too big, you'll just get a stream of water instead of "drops". I used a pretty small drill bit... I forget the size. Try starting off with a small bit, see how they perform & step your way up.

To keep the water shooting only down (instead of up & in different directison), I used a piece of sheet metal bent into an A shape that sat over the tubing. I drilled some very tiny holes in the sheet metal & wired the rubber tubing to the underside of the sheet metal. That way, it would direct all of the water down toward the cages instead of all over my lights, ceiling, etc.

Good luck!! :D

Make a "rain dome" for your mist nozzle! Cut the bottom 1/3 off of a large soda bottle or milk jug. poke a hole near the edge for your mist nozzle to mount on to, aim the nozzle up into the "dome" you have just created. The mist will hit the inside of the dome and drip down into the cage. Check out summoner12's posts for "rain dome" Aqua-Zamp sells them as well. Cheers!

At home improvement stores the sell soaker hoses. I can't remember the exact name but it's basically a hose made of water permeable material. Would do exactly what you need. You shouldn't need more pressure than whatever a regular tap puts out either.

This is what I use for my outdoor cages. I usually use about 3 hoses running acorss the length of the cages and have them on a timer from the tap and have them turn on about 5 to 6 times a day. I love the system, but hate that it is using tap but until I can figure out how to use that system with RO/DI water I guess I am stuck.

RainDome:

KevinZamp01_03_20100623.jpg

The rain dome is a nice. I think this is the product which can solve many of the problems I have.

This is the product form "Aqua-Zamp", right? do they come in different sizes?

Back
Top Bottom