Radiant heat panels/Herpstat

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
I’m looking into using a Herpstat for my beardie but have found it confusing what type of heating works best with it. I asked Herpstat and they suggested radiant heat panels. I’ve never heard of these things and Google can only tell so much. I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with using them and what their thoughts are about them.
Of course if anyone has any other suggestions for a good heat source to use with a Herpstat, I’m open to all suggestions.

It depends on the herpstat you buy... I am not familiar with Beardie care... Are you thinking temp control for the basking light?

It depends on the herpstat you buy... I am not familiar with Beardie care... Are you thinking temp control for the basking light?
I’m looking at just the Herpstat basic model. Yes, to control his basking heat, whether it be by light or other source.

I’m looking at just the Herpstat basic model. Yes, to control his basking heat, whether it be by light or other source.
So this one right? https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=24

I have one very similar except it is the herpstat 2 on the boys lamps. Works with incandescent bulbs for the dimming option. Probe goes in on the branch below it. So it dims up and down like a wall control for our lights based on temp. It adjusts accordingly. Works really well for this but you can only use the incandescent bulbs.

So this one right? https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=24

I have one very similar except it is the herpstat 2 on the boys lamps. Works with incandescent bulbs for the dimming option. Probe goes in on the branch below it. So it dims up and down like a wall control for our lights based on temp. It adjusts accordingly. Works really well for this but you can only use the incandescent bulbs.
Yes, that is the one. Do I need any special light fixture, like a dimmable one?

Nope so you use the standard on/off dome fixture. The specific is that it has to be an incandescent bulb. The herpstat will dim the bulb on its own.
Awesome! Incandescent bulbs are still available here so I’ll have to stock up. Thanks so much for the help! ☺

I thinj they are referring to heat tape and heat mats. Theyre also often used for leos and snakes who need belly warmth. Heating rocks tend to get too warm and the tape is an alternative. Heat tape is super common and heavily used, however, its important that there be a small gap under the tank for airflow (ie dont put the mat on the bottom, and lay it totally flat on a shelf.) most enclosures have a small gap/feet on the bottom for this reason.

I actually have a used Herpstat EZ2 and heatmat that I was going to list on my local craigslist. No pressure from me at all, but it might save you a few bucks. Check out the EZ model as it doesnt have all the bells and whistles of the full version (which i have and never use beyond temp control).

So first all work the same in that there are two options.

One is effectively just a dimmer.

The Other is a Thermostat, that shuts off power, or dims when a set temp is reached.

radiant heat panels are like heat pads, except that they heat what is sitting on them, while they themselves don't get so hot.

I have used any combination of these. They will work equally well depending on where you put the temp gauge.

You will find your zone and be able to control it with either option.

I prefer heating that comes from above, as beardies burro or seek shade when hot. Heat from the bottom seems unnatural.
But this is just an opinion, health wise I do not believe one is right or wrong.

I thinj they are referring to heat tape and heat mats. Theyre also often used for leos and snakes who need belly warmth. Heating rocks tend to get too warm and the tape is an alternative. Heat tape is super common and heavily used, however, its important that there be a small gap under the tank for airflow (ie dont put the mat on the bottom, and lay it totally flat on a shelf.) most enclosures have a small gap/feet on the bottom for this reason.

I actually have a used Herpstat EZ2 and heatmat that I was going to list on my local craigslist. No pressure from me at all, but it might save you a few bucks. Check out the EZ model as it doesnt have all the bells and whistles of the full version (which i have and never use beyond temp control).
Yes, I use heat mats with thermostats for my leopard geckos. PM’ing you on your Herpstat. :) I need better temp controls for my beardie.

So first all work the same in that there are two options.

One is effectively just a dimmer.

The Other is a Thermostat, that shuts off power, or dims when a set temp is reached.

radiant heat panels are like heat pads, except that they heat what is sitting on them, while they themselves don't get so hot.

I have used any combination of these. They will work equally well depending on where you put the temp gauge.

You will find your zone and be able to control it with either option.

I prefer heating that comes from above, as beardies burro or seek shade when hot. Heat from the bottom seems unnatural.
But this is just an opinion, health wise I do not believe one is right or wrong.
Thanks for breaking it down for me. :) Sounds like the heat panels are not what I’m needing.

sorry I now this is of topic but how do you put the husbandry for on a post.
Copy & paste.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom