Rabbit / Chinchilla Cage

BMXICAN

Hello, I just wanted to show everyone my cage setup for my werner's chams.
I used a two story rabbit / chinchilla cage. I cleaned it all off with a wire brush then I powerwashed all the poop and old newspaper off of it. It went from being crappy to pretty nice.

At the bottom of the cage I use paper towels to help keep in humidity and make it easy for me to clean the poop. The cage had these bins that slide under each floor to collect poop from rabbits. I used this bin to make a visual barrier between my two werner females and my male. And it can be removed to show them each other WITHOUT them being removed from there cages.

I keep my cage outside so the water I spray on it dries off quick and dosen't have time to rust it. A few vines and plants and it works great. Much better for their claws than that mesh.

Any questions, suggestions or commentaries? Thanks. :D

DSC01267.jpg

I seems quite serviceable, although, greatly lacking in cover/protection from the sun.
Personally I would add a lot more plants.
How long have you had them housed this way?

-Brad

I seems quite serviceable, although, greatly lacking in cover/protection from the sun.
Personally I would add a lot more plants.
How long have you had them housed this way?

-Brad

It's been 2 days. They where all housed together temporarily before that in a 2'x2'x3' cage. Chuck was always trying to make a move and Cindy and Lola weren't having it. So I decided to seperate them but allow then to still see each other if needed.

I'll definetly add more vines and hopefully get some small hibiscus flowers soon... Thanks Brad!

be careful...certain varmints (especially raccoons ) can get their grubby little paws through the larger mesh like on your cage. I've read a couple of horror stories about people finding their chams with no appendages. I remember reading about it in one of my first cham books...I think it was by Vosjolli or someone like that.

Similar to the large bird cages I used to use. They worked great. But mine were indoors, so no worries about racoons or attacking birds etc
I agree with Brad there doesnt seem to be an adequate shade area?

For the shade, you can also buy some shade cloth at the garden section of Home Depot or Lowes. I use this for my outside cage and it works great along with many plants.

Awesome, I'll definetly will make more shade for them. After all, they are montaine chams, and like it a bit cooler than the panthers or veilds.

They seem to really like it, since the girls are missing lots of their claws, it makes them easy to climb the cage, as where screen was imposible for them to climb.

Also, I'd like to state that I put my chams inside at night. People steal stuff... and now I know that racoons eat chams. :D

Funny, last night I saw a family of racoons a half block away in a gutter. Washing their food in the gutter water. Clever little guys.... :p

Back
Top Bottom