R.kerstenii or R.brevicaudatus

Mikael

I finally found a site that has pygmys for sale and they have both those species which one is better for a beginner. But these ones I think are captive farmed is it worth buying them?

R. brevicaudatus is, in my opinion, better for a beginner. Some pygmys can be extremely difficult but that is mostly because they are so unforgiving of husbandry mistakes. Brevs are much hardier in my experience. Kerstenii can be a little touchy at times.

Yes same as here in the uk. I have honestly lost count of the number of shops/breeders i have visited for kersteni, only to find they are brevicaudatus.

I will do a Kenya import next week and i will import some true kersteni's(i will send some pairs to Steve.
True kerstenies dont look at all like brevies,they are abou double size and way more collorful)
Here a picture of a male...

And for uvb should I hang a cfl above the cage cause I have a 20 gal long or should I get a tube uvb and place it right on top of the cage?

I will do a Kenya import next week and i will import some true kersteni's(i will send some pairs to Steve.
True kerstenies dont look at all like brevies,they are abou double size and way more collorful)
Here a picture of a male...

Steve who?
Very nice. Yes i think a lot of people confuse the two, as you sometimes get brevis that show very similar colours & stripy patterning to kersteni. Though easy enough to tell the two species apart, beard on the brevis is obvious & the kersteni the shape (more long & slender, as opposed to rounded) & the pointed turrets above the eyes is what i look for.
Must admit i didn't know they were that much bigger though.

When you see the two side by side the difference is very clear.

Steve McNary or Bobby Ruddick. Sorry guys if I spelled your names wrong.

Carl

And for uvb should I hang a cfl above the cage cause I have a 20 gal long or should I get a tube uvb and place it right on top of the cage?

Either way would be ok. Best to set up & monitor temps & adjust accordingly. Even a uv tube can up temps quite a bit, especially in a glass type tank.
I use both compact uv bulbs, mostly the arcadia 6% D3 or the same make in a tube. I provide plenty of cover (live plants), to allow the animal to move into cover/shade should it wish to do so.

Get a tube UV light. I am not 100% sure if a 20 gallon would be enough space for three kerstenii, but would work for brevicaudatus.

I'm not sure if the kerstenii require more room, but I've housed 1.3 R. brevicaudatus in a 20 long before.

Chase

Back
Top Bottom