R.i.p.

brownie64

Avid Member
Lost one of the babies today.:( When he came out of the sack he had to be helped. He didn't move for the longest time, and almost got tossed then. But he all of a sudden got up and started walking so he was a fighter. However wasn't strong enough to overcome the odds. Sad though he may have been real small and skinny, but I was pulling for him. The rest look fairly good right now, so here is hoping for the best.

I need fruit flies but they just aren't hatching out fast enough. I put down fresh fruit to draw wild ones, but no luck any other time they would be all over the place. I don't know if it is the heat or what. I just know the real little guys just can't eat the crickets. They are real small but I don't think they are real pinheads, going to order about a 1000 real pinheads as much as these guys eat I don't think I'll have trouble getting them ate before they get too large. Does it always take fly pupa that long to hatch or morph?

Sorry you lost the little guy. Do you know how to make fruit fly cultures? I can explain if you need me too.

Sorry you lost the little guy. Do you know how to make fruit fly cultures? I can explain if you need me too.

I bought two but as slow as they morph I think I need more. If you got a better way I'm all ears. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you:)

It takes 2-3 weeks.
Just keep making them. You could never have enough.

That long?:eek: I'll never be able to keep up with these guys appetites. I hope the pinheads are small enough to do the job until this whole morphing thing takes place. How long after they turn into the pupa stage? I have a quite a few there.

For each clutch laid, i keep 5-6 cultures on hand. There is at least one going year round, for when i need to get them going for hatchlings. Yes, it can easily take two weeks for feeders. Just when you think you made 3 too many, those are empty in four days. It takes a lot of practice to estimate what you'll need. Even then mistakes can be made, very easily. For catching wild flies, you should use a piece of meat. Then catch with butterfly net. You will need to breed those also, as salmonella is almost a certainty.

Back
Top Bottom