R.i.p grumpy

chameleonmatt1

i lost my 7 month old panther today :(. i dont know what wrong but he was eating/drinking yesterday acting just like him self and today gone. i will not try another chameleon right away going to research more and better my next experience. so i just want to say thanks to everyone for the great info...

matt

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
male panther ambilobe,7months old,4months in my care
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
maybe once every other week
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
crickets,a dozen a day,bug burger
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
repashy all in one..every feeding
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
mist king mister several times a day 2 min in morning,45 sec through out day and 1 min before bed. yes i have seen him drink.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
brown/white except the circle poop described below. never was tested
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
i bought him from a local pet shop on black friday 2010. he got him from a breeder in flordia i believe.
Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
18x18x36 all screen cage
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
reptisun 5.0 and a 75w basking light. 7-7

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
mid 90's basking to mid 70's floor, digital temp guage. house set at 70-72
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
not sure on humidity never really checked.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
all fake plants
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
was located in spare bed room,not a high traffic room, kinda by a window,probably 4 ft from top of cage to floor.
Location - Where are you geographically located?
wisconsin.

he was doing great yesterday at about 3pm seen him eat crickets/day before seen him drinking water. he was normal yesterday from what i seen. today at about noon ish i went to check on him and he was very narthlagic (sp) eyes were closed/very weak. and about between 3-4pm today he had passed away. also, i looked in cage and i found a piece of poop that was about the size of a small bouncy ball. the poop was circle looking not the usuall line poop. i looked at the poop and seen cricket remains... im deeply saddend by the loss of my lil friend grumpy...ill take pics of the poop and post tomm. i never had any problems with him except today.

thanks again,
matt

Last edited:
i lost my 7 month old panther today :(. i dont know what wrong but he was eating/drinking yesterday acting just like him self and today gone. i will not try another chameleon so i just want to say thanks to everyone for the great info...

matt

Sorry Chameleons have an ability to hide a sickness most of the time until its to late.

sorry to hear you lost your chameleon so suddenly. Is there anything in the cage he could have injested? Did you have substrate in the bottom of your cage?

I am so very sorry to hear about you loss of Grumpy. I understand how hard and painful it can be. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers during this very sad time.

few pics

thanks everyone...heres some pics of the poop which i think killed grumpy.i think its 2-3x bigger than normal poop he had. its in the exactly same form that it was in his cage. let know your thoughts.
thanks,
matt
007-3.jpg

006-4.jpg

004-6.jpg

001-5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom