Quick question jacksonii jacksonii lighting/husbandry. Thank ya!

Fairly good with chameleons. Bought and reserved a pair of Kenya Jackson’s.
building the cage before I have them shipped. I am going to move soon and space may be a slight issue. (College rent house)
I plan to build a “tandem” setup with them basically being one cage but 2 enclosures, divider, 2 doors. Half of the back will be plexi for attaching cork bark and bromeliads.
hanging pothos in each, and a tree
What’s your favorite main foliage/tree for these guys?
I’ve been out of the game for a while and lighting is different. What’s the best lighting setup for these 2 setups? Need veg light, uvb, and basking. Want to buy nice stuff that looks good. As it will be a living room display.

I wanted to do 2, 2x2x4 enclosures and will do that if anyone thinks that a 18x18x4foot will work for this species please let me know. I really need them a bit smaller.
Mist king is setup and ready for the cages.
temp, basking, humidity, and supplements the same as xanths for the most part?
I embarrassingly need help on the lighting as I’m new to planted enclosures somewhat and running a veg light and uvb confuses me a bit and I don’t want to get the Cham sick. Thanks!

Welcome back to the hobby!

For my Jackson's chameleon, I use sheflerra arboricola (dwarf umbrella plant) as my centerpiece. Though you can pretty much use any plant as long as it doesn't produce sap or release an irritant. Since they are not known the eat plant matter, you can (if comfortable) delve into some plants that are deemed "toxic if consumed." I know lots of people on the forum who use mass cane to get foliage in the upper quadrants of their cage. I also have a bromeliad and pothos in the cage. Just choose a plant that you like the look of and go with that!

I recently switched the sansi's 70-watt growlight (thanks to @Klyde O'Scope), and the growth in my cage has been outstanding! I have noticed more growth with this single fixture than any of the growlights I have used in the past (including arcadia's jungledawn, vivosun quad fixture, and other sansi growlights). It's the best bang for your buck. Very cost efficient.

70-Watt Sansi Light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKKG8Q3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the basking bulb, I use arcadia's lowest wattage halogen basking bulb (50 watts I think) since I live in California and have trouble finding normal incandescents at the store (for energy efficiency reasons). Most people, depending on the state, just get an incandescent between the range of 45 and 65 watts.

For uvb, I'd go with arcadia 6% uvb (but reptisun 5.0 works too). Depending on if you want one fixture for each cham or one continuous linear bulb, you can get the 24'' or 48''.

As for the size of the cage, I think an 18 wide would be too small--especially for the kenyans which can get quite large.

Supplements. I use arcadia Earthpro-Ca for plain calcium but others use earthpro-A just fine. But any plain calcium supplement should work. For D3 and Multivitamin, you can use Repashy Calcium plus LoD or Reptivite with D3. Both of these supplements have D3 and multivitamins. I currently use Reptivite with D3 once a month.
(http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-earthpro-ca-calcium-100g/)
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AQB6A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

For the branches, try to collect them from a place where pesticides are not used. I personally like oak, but others use manzanita or pretty much any other branch that is not an evergreen that produces/has sap.

I'm also a college student low on space at the moment. But I do think a 2x2x4 should be the minimum for these guys. If you are low on space for a few months, you can always build a smaller cage for them to grow up in. But they will need their space once they hit maturity. If you think about it, the difference between two 18x18x48 and two 24x24x48 is only one foot wider.

I'm definitely jealous that you will be getting some kenyan jackson's, they are truly amazing. I have a single Hawaiian Jackson (for three years now). I have always wanted a kenyan. Definitely send pics when you get them.

OH, I guess I should clarify. Kenyan jacksonii xantholophus need a minimum of a 2x2x4, but you could get away with smaller if you are getting jacksonii jacksonii (which are also from Kenya).

Welcome back to the hobby!

For my Jackson's chameleon, I use sheflerra arboricola (dwarf umbrella plant) as my centerpiece. Though you can pretty much use any plant as long as it doesn't produce sap or release an irritant. Since they are not known the eat plant matter, you can (if comfortable) delve into some plants that are deemed "toxic if consumed." I know lots of people on the forum who use mass cane to get foliage in the upper quadrants of their cage. I also have a bromeliad and pothos in the cage. Just choose a plant that you like the look of and go with that!

I recently switched the sansi's 70-watt growlight (thanks to @Klyde O'Scope), and the growth in my cage has been outstanding! I have noticed more growth with this single fixture than any of the growlights I have used in the past (including arcadia's jungledawn, vivosun quad fixture, and other sansi growlights). It's the best bang for your buck. Very cost efficient.

70-Watt Sansi Light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKKG8Q3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the basking bulb, I use arcadia's lowest wattage halogen basking bulb (50 watts I think) since I live in California and have trouble finding normal incandescents at the store (for energy efficiency reasons). Most people, depending on the state, just get an incandescent between the range of 45 and 65 watts.

For uvb, I'd go with arcadia 6% uvb (but reptisun 5.0 works too). Depending on if you want one fixture for each cham or one continuous linear bulb, you can get the 24'' or 48''.

As for the size of the cage, I think an 18 wide would be too small--especially for the kenyans which can get quite large.

Supplements. I use arcadia Earthpro-Ca for plain calcium but others use earthpro-A just fine. But any plain calcium supplement should work. For D3 and Multivitamin, you can use Repashy Calcium plus LoD or Reptivite with D3. Both of these supplements have D3 and multivitamins. I currently use Reptivite with D3 once a month.
(http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-earthpro-ca-calcium-100g/)
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AQB6A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

For the branches, try to collect them from a place where pesticides are not used. I personally like oak, but others use manzanita or pretty much any other branch that is not an evergreen that produces/has sap.

I'm also a college student low on space at the moment. But I do think a 2x2x4 should be the minimum for these guys. If you are low on space for a few months, you can always build a smaller cage for them to grow up in. But they will need their space once they hit maturity. If you think about it, the difference between two 18x18x48 and two 24x24x48 is only one foot wider.

I'm definitely jealous that you will be getting some kenyan jackson's, they are truly amazing. I have a single Hawaiian Jackson (for three years now). I have always wanted a kenyan. Definitely send pics when you get them.

OH, I guess I should clarify. Kenyan jacksonii xantholophus need a minimum of a 2x2x4, but you could get away with smaller if you are getting jacksonii jacksonii (which are also from Kenya).
Thank you for the very detailed response! I should have been more response. I am getting a pair of 5 month old cb pair of jacksonii jacksonii. That’s the only reason I considered the 18 an option. Seriously thank you so much for the info

Lol, my bad, I should have read the title. I think 18x18x48 should be fine for jacksonii jacksonii.

Lol, my bad, I should have read the title. I think 18x18x48 should be fine for jacksonii
Ah it’s all good man. I have been back and forth on the cage size but I think I will try 18x18 for a bit and If any problems etc come up I’ll make the necessary changes. Thanks so much! Have a good one.
I jumped back into the hobby pretty heavy all at once because I missed it so bad, I built a 40 gallon enclosure for Brookesia therezieni pygmys and they come in on tuesday. Couldn’t be more happy. Hopefully they fare well and acclimate to captivity without too much trouble.

Haha, I can't think of a better hobby to jump back into than chameleon keeping! That's right, you're getting the therezieni. Those guys are epic! Can't wait to see all your animals when they arrive. I'm stilling thinking about getting pygmies myself. Either superciliaris or therezieni. I think pygmies tend to acclimate better than regular sized chams. Both should do fine. Keep an eye out on the jacksonii jacksonii. If they are wild caught, depending on how they fare, you may need to take them to the vet to treat for parasites. If they are acting normal, then you should be fine.

Haha, I can't think of a better hobby to jump back into than chameleon keeping! That's right, you're getting the therezieni. Those guys are epic! Can't wait to see all your animals when they arrive. I'm stilling thinking about getting pygmies myself. Either superciliaris or therezieni. I think pygmies tend to acclimate better than regular sized chams. Both should do fine. Keep an eye out on the jacksonii jacksonii. If they are wild caught, depending on how they fare, you may need to take them to the vet to treat for parasites. If they are acting normal, then you should be fine.
For sure! Luckily the Jackson’s are the cb babies in the classifieds here. Couldn’t help myself. Already looking awesome at 5 months. I sure wish rampheleon sp. we’re around but the Brookesia are definitely cool. It’s weird the last time I was into this stuff it was impossible to find a Madagascar Pygmy but beardeds and other Africans were easy to find

What’s your favorite main foliage/tree for these guys?
These lists are chameleon-safe, but read any notes::
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
https://www.madcham.de/en/pflanzen-fuers-terrarium/
https://www.chameleons.info/l/safe-and-unsafe-plants/
https://www.chameleonschool.com/safe-plants-for-chameleons/

I’ve been out of the game for a while and lighting is different. What’s the best lighting setup for these 2 setups? Need veg light, uvb, and basking. Want to buy nice stuff that looks good. As it will be a living room display.
I consider the three kinds of lighting—basking, UVB, & plant lights—separately. There are a number of advantages to this, not the least of which is control over each separately.

UVB: A single linear T5HO UVB is fine, Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%. I would do separate fixtures for control and in case one burns out unexpectedly, you're not caught totally without.

There are different theories/ways of setting up timing; most revolve around a 12/12 ON/OFF cycle. I time my UVBs to turn on an hour after "lights-on" and turn off an hour before "lights off".
I do this for 2 reasons:
  • In nature, the atmosphere filters out much UVB during early morning and late evening hours.
  • Saving 2 hrs. per day will extend the life of any UVB bulb.

For Basking, I prefer (in order of preference):
  1. Household incandescent bulb (not LED)
  2. Incandescent flood light (not LED and not spot light)
  3. Halogen flood light (not spot light)
A clamp light fixture works well for any of the above basking lights. Flood lights have integral reflectors, so a reflective fixture isn't absolutely necessary, but it can help protect the bulb from damage and may look a little better.

Basking lamps are best installed/mounted at an angle to produce a temperature gradient rather than a hot-spot.

1621429116260.png
For plant lights, I prefer LEDs, specifically for a 24 x 24 x 48 enclosure I like/recommend:
https://www.sansiled.com/70w-led-grow-light-full-spectrum.html
Coupons are usually available.

LEDs are generally more powerful, last 5X longer, don't contain mercury, and many (like above) are self-contained and don't require an additional fixture.

I try to set up lights like a Venn diagram to allow the cham to seek out/find the light it wants/needs. This isn't as important for plant lights except that plant lights are often the brightest in an enclosure and reptiles instinctively try to bask under the brightest source.

1621429353697.png

I wanted to do 2, 2x2x4 enclosures and will do that if anyone thinks that a 18x18x4foot will work for this species please let me know. I really need them a bit smaller.
The adage is, "as large as you can afford, but at least..." With Jackson's, 18 x 18 is considered the minimum, but I really recommend and hope you go at least 24 x 24 x 48, situated with the basking area at or above eye level.

With 2 side-by-side enclosures, PLEASE include a complete visual barrier between them—even if they're a mating pair. Using smaller size enclosures may also exacerbate the territorial stress.

Back
Top Bottom