Quick Drainage Question

BrianD

I recently got an aluminum framed 18x18x36" terrarium and I am working on a drainage system. I have read through the stickies and a bunch of posts, so I got a good feel for what needs to be done. My question was that I am looking into buying the water tray that LLL offers for sale. I see that it goes underneath the terrarium. Am I just supposed to drill holes in the floor panel that is currently in the terrarium (the one that came with it) to allow the water to drain into the water tray? It sounds too simple, like some step is missing. Also, is the water tray worth it, or should I consider the substrate tray (with out substrate of coarse) and just cover it so feeders and my cham can not get into it?

Thanks in advance,

I would just stick a plastic grate on top a large plastic bin and put the cage on top of that. Remove the PVC bottom and let it drain through the screen. Unless you prefer the PVC bottom then just drill holes in it

Thank you for the response. The screen terrarium I got does not seem to have a screen bottom, just the plastic panel. I will take a look and see if there is a way to add screen to it. I agree that it would be easier if I could just let everything drain directly through screen.

Thank you for the response. The screen terrarium I got does not seem to have a screen bottom, just the plastic panel. I will take a look and see if there is a way to add screen to it. I agree that it would be easier if I could just let everything drain directly through screen.

Brian what she means is lots of us drill holes in the plastic and let it drain that way. Even with the tray from LLL you need a bucket under the tray the sell. It just collects the water so it drips out of one hole in the tray. If that doesn't make sense let me know, I will take a picture of one of mine.

What you have is a screen cage, not a terrariun, you have the right thing, you just used the wrong name and confused me.

Brian what she means is lots of us drill holes in the plastic and let it drain that way. Even with the tray from LLL you need a bucket under the tray the sell. It just collects the water so it drips out of one hole in the tray. If that doesn't make sense let me know, I will take a picture of one of mine.

What you have is a screen cage, not a terrariun, you have the right thing, you just used the wrong name and confused me.

Sorry about that... I come from keeping frogs so everything is terrarium or vivarium :D
It makes sense now, but a picture is always helpful if it's not too much trouble. Basically I use my set up exactly like it is except I drill some holes in the bottom floor panel. I put the water tray under the cage, which will catch all the water from the mister, dripper and fogger. The water tray will have or needs to have 1 hole drilled in the center of it to drain into a bucket below it. Does that sound like I have it right?

Sorry about that... I come from keeping frogs so everything is terrarium or vivarium :D
It makes sense now, but a picture is always helpful if it's not too much trouble. Basically I use my set up exactly like it is except I drill some holes in the bottom floor panel. I put the water tray under the cage, which will catch all the water from the mister, dripper and fogger. The water tray will have or needs to have 1 hole drilled in the center of it to drain into a bucket below it. Does that sound like I have it right?

You have it perfect except the hole will be near the edge on one side, they are predrilled.

You have it perfect except the hole will be near the edge on one side, they are predrilled.

i didnt know they were predrilled lol. I never noticed that being mentioned when i looked them up on websites for sale lol

Back
Top Bottom