Questions on chameleon enclosure and behavior

Hey everyone. So I have a 7-8 month old (not sure exactly) female veiled chameleon and just upgraded her to the 2x2x4ft screen cage and just want a second opinion on how I’m doing the enclosure change and if her behavior is normal too ( She’s a little stressed). I also changed where her cage was at in my room So I think that and the new cage itself are the reasons for her stress. I’ll attach a picture of her new cage and skin pattern. The picture doesn’t include the philodendron Plant I got her today (it’s sitting outside atm). I’m not sure if that’ll make her feel more comfortable as it’s pretty big and will take up the empty space in the cage. Last thing, if anyone knows about this white stuff around my chams eye/head please let me know! She finished shedding a week or 2 ago and it’s not peeling off at all.

Just a quick side note. I took her in for a checkup at a reptile vet at the end of June and she had no medical issues what so ever.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 99
So I would definitely put the plant in and add many more branches and vines for her to climb around on. Any changes are stressful for chams but an enclosure upgrade is a pleasant reason for brief stress.
That looks like stuck shed on her head. What are your humidity levels like and what supplement schedule are you using?

Thanks for responding.. I’ll get some more branches and what not for her to climb on. The humidity ranges from 35%(at very lowest, usually after I come home from being gone for a few hours) up to the low 50s, which is right after I mist her cage. I do that when I see it’s around 40%. And I only use zoo-med repti calcium every other day on her staple feeders which are large crickets. The vet I saw at the end of June said he has many of his own reptiles and said do the calcium every other day.

Thanks for responding.. I’ll get some more branches and what not for her to climb on. The humidity ranges from 35%(at very lowest, usually after I come home from being gone for a few hours) up to the low 50s, which is right after I mist her cage. I do that when I see it’s around 40%. And I only use zoo-med repti calcium every other day on her staple feeders which are large crickets. The vet I saw at the end of June said he has many of his own reptiles and said do the calcium every other day.
Your humidity is good. Chams are dry shedders so I thought it might be too high.
Does your calcium have D3? If so, it should only be given twice a month. Calcium without D3 should be on every feeding except one per week, which you’ll give the D3 that one feeding per week and a multivitamin the next.

Okay that’s awesome info thank you for that! It doesn’t have D3 it says on the front so I’ll get the D3 and multivitamin also, I didn’t know that was essential to their diet.

On a random note, what do you know about super worms? I read somewhere that this girls Cham died from being fed them too much so I only do them once or twice a week for mine.

Okay that’s awesome info thank you for that! It doesn’t have D3 it says on the front so I’ll get the D3 and multivitamin also, I didn’t know that was essential to their diet.

On a random note, what do you know about super worms? I read somewhere that this girls Cham died from being fed them too much so I only do them once or twice a week for mine.
superworms aren't the healthiest, but you can give them some as treat. 1 or 2 a week is fine. here is a sheet that can tell you more about feeders and what are the healthiest

I'd get the enclosure up off the floor so it "feels" more arboreal.
A 29"-30"H table would be ideal. ;)

EDIT: It should also help with the stress...

Back
Top Bottom