Questions about shedding and eating.

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
Eustis shed on his face a week or more ago and for the past several days he’s had shed hanging from his legs and feet but he hasn’t gotten rid of it and it’s kind of yellow looking, like it’s old skin which I guess it is but why isn’t he rubbing it off? As for the eating question, for a month I was feeding him every day and he’d eat anywhere from 5 to8 insects, they are small because he seems intimidated by anything large. The past few days he has started eating only every other day or every two days and sometimes he eats good some days he’ll only eat 3 crickets 1/4 inch size. Is this enough for him? I remember the two Jackson’s chams I had years ago eating a lot more than that and their shed didn’t hang around long either. Thanks for your help.

For the shedding its usually a humidity thing although it could be other issues. Usually just up the the misting and it should come off. Sometimes more Misting works for mine but then again sometime decreasing the humidy works as well. I know I'm confusing you but just saying. Also once I took my guy to the vet and they prescribed neosporin and after three day of applying it the shedding just fell off. So take your pick. For the feeding don't stress yourself out over it. They do that sometimes. In a week he'll probably start eating better. Stay positive. Hope this helped a bit.

I’m going to give him a couple more days and try to up his night time humidity some. I really don’t want to put neosporin on him because he stresses bad any time I have to handle him which is not often on purpose!

What are you feeding? Variety is best i keep locusts, crickets, bsfl, roaches ,silkworms and let black soldier fly larve hatch into flys and waxworms + pachnoda grubs as treats

+1 on them being dry shedders. They aren't like snakes that create a liquid membrane of sorts to help separate the new from the old skin. Instead, they create a small layer of air between the new and old skin. If you increase the misting, the shed will only stick to a chameleon.

The past few days he has started eating only every other day or every two days and sometimes he eats good some days he’ll only eat 3 crickets 1/4 inch size. Is this enough for him? I remember the two Jackson’s chams I had years ago eating a lot more than that and their shed didn’t hang around long either. Thanks for your help.
Individual chameleons will have varying metabolisms, so comparing past chameleons to present chameleons can sometimes be difficult. You said that "sometimes he eats good;" specify good. But overall, I would say that he's eating well. The only thing you can really do to help him shed is to make sure your humidity is getting a good drop during the day. As long as you provide that, he will do the rest. From my experience, and from other members here on the forums, Jackson's chameleons tend to shed in bits and pieces over a period of time, instead of a quick full-body shed like panther chameleons.

BTW, I never mentioned this before, but I love the name Eustis haha--great choice!

Okay, I won’t increase humidity. I’ll just give him time to do what he needs to do.
I feed him Dubia s, crickets, bsfl, and once in a while a wax worm or two. He’s intimidated by full size crickets so I only give the small ones. By eating good I mean like 5 Dubia or 5 crickets. I’m glad you like his name!

Awesome, his eating sounds good to me! Does he look like he's getting thicker in the arms? If so, he may be eating too much. But to me, he sounds like he's doing good.

Eustis shed on his face a week or more ago and for the past several days he’s had shed hanging from his legs and feet but he hasn’t gotten rid of it and it’s kind of yellow looking, like it’s old skin which I guess it is but why isn’t he rubbing it off?
If it isn't annoying him, he may not even realize anything is amiss, so no reason to rub it off.

OTOH, just the uncomfortable process of shedding can affect their eating habits & temperaments.
This has happened with all of the shedding reptiles I've had to some extent.

Sometimes I've wondered if eating less for those few days could possibly shrink their bodies enough to assist in the process.... :unsure:
Then I returned to reality and laughed the notion off... :LOL:

I don't do anything different with humidity or temperature.
"In the end, the Universe tends to unfold as it should."

Dry shedders keep humidity stable and within the limits for his species. Do not apply anything to it. Shedding can move slower as they mature.

Did you ever get a fecal done to make sure there was not a parasite issue?

Back
Top Bottom