Questions about humidity and its effects on chameleons sleeping

dmaizer

Avid Member
Hi I was wondering if low humidity would cause my panther chameleon to keep his left eye closed or sleep during the day. He's about 2 years old I just got him last night any input would great. Thanks

probably not. There is most likely something else going on. If you only had him one day the humidity would probably not effect him that quick. He must have came to you with problems. He could have parasites. There are a number of things it could be. That is just one possibility., What kind of lighting are you using?

I'm using a reptisun 5.0 18" t8 and a soft white 75watt house bulb.. He has a wound on his tail which I think is bad, the person who bought it from said its the humidity causing him to sleep...something seems fishy

Sounds like he sold you a sick chameleon. Sleeping during the day is a sign of illness or usually something in the set up is wrong, often time the lighting. Your lighting is correct and should not be effecting his eyes. He could have a vitamin deficiency. Has he pooped yet? Is he eating? If you can get some poop I would get it to a vet and have it tested for parasites. Can you post a pic of him? What is your humidity in the cage and do you know what humidity levels he was keeping the chameleon in?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Panther chameleon, about 2 years old, I've had him for 24 hours
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Once to bring him up to his basking spot instead of sleeping on a vine at the bottom, another to inspect his tail
Feeding - I haven't even fed him yet because his been siting with his left eye closed or sleeping, I have a schedule planned out
Supplements - Calcium with D3 , calcium without D3 and multi-vitamins
Watering - misting every other hour or two(enough for droplets to form) , heavy misting 3 times a day (morning,afternoon,evening)
Fecal Description - I've owned chameleons before and I know that the fecal would be solid when healthy, I see one and its not solid...
History - All I know is that he is almost 2 years old and pre owner said the wound occurred the day before I picked him up and has no clue how it happened..

Cage Info:
Cage Type - DIY screen cage 18x18x36 (bought with the chameleon from the owner )
Lighting - Repti-sun 5.0 18" t8 UVB , 75 watt soft whit house bulb, I'm trying to have him on a 7 to 7 schedule.
Temperature - 95 at basking 71 at the bottom,Lowest overnight temp?about 68 How do you measure these temps? Every hour during the day twice at night I also use a digital thermometer
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 50-60How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Misting. What do you use to measure humidity? Digital hydrometer
Plants - Are you using live plants? Yes.(also fake plants and vines) If so, what kind? I'm not sure I could I ask the breeder who sold him to me
Placement - Where is your cage located? On the floor in the corner of my room( which has zero traffic.
Location - Where are you geographically located?Chicago IL

Current Problem - Either he has his left eye closed or he sleeps on a vine at the bottom Of his cage(breeder said its because of my humidity is to low but I think his tail has a big role in all this...

everything in your set up is fine. Can you post a pic of him and the tail?. If his feces is runny he could have parasites. Also, parasites can cause lethargy and sleeping. I would definitely have him checked out at a vet. Does the tail look infected?

Here are some pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 146
Im no vet, but seeing how the tail looks, there is no way ( imo) that it happened as he told you..black tells me it's necrotic, but like i said, thats just mo

Not sure what cause this wound, but I'm not sure what to do.he keeps going to the bottom of his cage and sleeps on a vine......really starting to stress out please help

To clear the air here, Skye has had a clean bill of health. I have been known for keeping and selling only quality and this is no exception. I was in full disclosure to you from the get-go about the wound on his tail. You saw it and still were eager to purchase him. As for any eye issue, the first time I heard of such thing was yesterday when you contacted me about it and he has never done so prior to that. You indicated your humidity was only 30%. Yes, in these parts, this time of year, low humidity will cause them to close their eye "occasionally".

BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER HAD ANYTHING OTHER THAN GOOD REVIEWS of my chams, if you are unhappy with the cham, please bring it back asap and I will give you your money back.

Yes I indicated that my humidity was at 30% within the first few hours of having him. But added a humidifier as chams1 recommend......I don't get what the problem is here. I asking for help

You are asking for help, yes, but at the same time insinuating (as are others) that you possibly have a sick cham. I am simply indicating that I will not have customers unhappy and if you are that concerned that I could have sold you an already sick cham, I will give you your money back should you choose to bring him back asap, so that I can evaluate him and get him to the vet should he need it. I have given you advise on how to the handle the tail and have been forthcoming with you on information regarding his enclosure. If you feel that things aren't right, bring him back and I will refund your money.

Chams will have wet poops if they eat alot of soft-bodied insects (I.E. silkworms, hornworms). You mentioned that his poops were not solid, so that would be my guess :)

Perhaps he is just getting acclimated to his surroundings? Is he sleeping during the day? (Might have missed this, if you already answered yes I am sorry in advance). Could be stress for his new place. Especially if he is older and has been use to the same place without much change in the past.
Give him a few days, feed him enough and make sure you're misting.
I have a panther with a make-shift rain maker that I use for mine once a day for about 5 mins and it seems to be sufficient.

Best of luck with your new guy :)

Thanks, Nimmitz. I also suggested that. The cham had been eating quite a few hornworms the past week which makes their poo runny and suggested that be the reason. Otherwise, his poo has never been abnormal. I also suggested that it does take time (especially for an adult) to acclimate to another household. The Chicago area is different, too, in that at this time of year, they notice and react the change in temps and humidity levels even outside even if they don't change outside. I have noticed this for quite some time and have always taken precaution.

Thanks all for your input, but the buyer is returning the cham and I am giving him a full refund. I have never had a complaint in the past and I would like to keep it that way. :)

- Julie -
Windy City Chameleons

Back
Top Bottom