Questions about Feeders

BenjiTheCham

Established Member
So I have not gotten my cham yet, but I want to make sure I have everything planned out.
I have some questions about feeders.
1) Do chameleons need a variety in their diet? I have heard that it is good to give them different types of bugs. How much variety do they need? Could I just give them crickets and super worms, or do they need more?
2) What are the best feeders? Which ones are the best to feed, I have heard that mealworms can be bad.
3) which are the easiest to keep and how would I go about doing that? I really don’t like roaches, so I will not be getting any of them. I am also really paranoid about any bugs escaping, so if anyone has any tips to prevent any bugs escaping, that would be wonderful. I have an old 10 gallon tank with a screen lid and do you think I could use it to keep any bugs?
Thanks, I am still researching and will be getting my cham in a few weeks and I feel like this is some information that I haven’t thought about until now.

Hello!

1. Yes, chameleons need variety. As for how much, as much as possible!

2. Hard to say what's best, as what is truly best is a variety. Roaches, Silkworms, Black Soldier Fly Larvae, are what I regularly feed and occasionally throw something flying in the cage and maybe a treat wax worm every so often.

3. Roaches are probably easiest to keep in my opinion. They don't smell and have a very low chance of escaping. Crickets -- you'll just need to accept that one or two or five will get out, it's inevitable. Same with any feeder really, except worms -- I've never had one escape. I've also never had a roach escape -- that I know of :ROFLMAO:. Are you intended to breed bugs? Or just purchase and hold them for feeding?

Another thing to think of when considering feeders is how you plan to gut load them. Again, variety is best of fresh veggies and fruits alongside maybe some commercial gutload formula.

Just food for thought!

Thank you for all that info and replying so quick!
I have one last question.
I have an extra 10 gallon aquarium with a screen lid. Do you think I could hold any feeders in there? How would I go about doing that? And to answer your question, I’m not planning on breeding.

Thank you for all that info and replying so quick!
I have one last question.
I have an extra 10 gallon aquarium with a screen lid. Do you think I could hold any feeders in there? How would I go about doing that? And to answer your question, I’m not planning on breeding.

Sure, you could keep feeders in there. If you are not planning to breed then you really don't need to worry about "climate" conditions. Just throw some egg crates in there with food and clean it often and you'll be good.

Back
Top Bottom