Questions about feeders and feeding

Vert340

Established Member
Heya I am finally stepping up on feeding my chameleon. I've had him for 2 months now and I've given him dusted crickets, a few meal worms in week 1, and a few calcium worms in week 1 of month 2. I am wanting to get into gut loading crickets and eventually blue bottle flies, but more on a later post.

The plan rn is to feed the crickets something called cricket crack, I found a version for montane species. Idk how it differs from normal cricket crack, but it's what I'll be feeding em. Besides what I'll be feeding the crickets I don't actually know how gut loading works, so if anyone could explain the process to me I'd appreciate it.

So my other question is about calcium. Every month imma be changing the sub feeder that I give to yaki. So i will have for example a month where he eats crickets as his main and his sub will be butter worms. Butter worms are high in calcium if i recall so for that month would I be fine with not dusting crickets?

Don't let the article intimidate you, you can learn a lot from the comments section alone. Ask plenty of questions.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/chameleon-herbivory.2426/

Maybe I am missing something but that thread is about Chameleon herbivory habits, what does that have to do with OPs question on bug nutrition?

Or was it more about the comments section?

If you think that any of our feeders are going to survive on bee pollen alone, well they wont lol.

Petr is talking about Gutloading, in the idea, of feeding them strictly bee pollen the day before feeding (as evidenced by "I catch wild feeders, that have been eating on grass and such and feed them pollen"). Vert is talking about actually raising and keeping alive a colony as far as I read it. These are completely different things. I do love while he bashs other peoples products and gives them funny names, while stating we should be feeding our insects strictly his product. Petr is a partner (Maybe full owner) in a Bee Pollen Company, so there is that....

We moved this convo, off Kaizens blog, as it was not relevant to Kaizens blog. So before you go feeding your insects pure bee pollen, might want to take a look here. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/gutloading-are-we-doing-it-right.173675/

Last edited:
As to the other question, Cricket Crack is fine. I use Joshs Frogs version as a staple for all my insects, and add fruit and veggies as well.

the Montane version cuts the Vitamin D, that is found in standard Cricket Crack as "Dehydrated Milk" which also provides the calcium in the standard version. They use straight calcuim in the Montane blend.

As to the other question, Cricket Crack is fine. I use Joshs Frogs version as a staple for all my insects, and add fruit and veggies as well.

the Montane version cuts the Vitamin D, that is found in standard Cricket Crack as "Dehydrated Milk" which also provides the calcium in the standard version. They use straight calcuim in the Montane blend.
Ah tyty

Maybe I am missing something but that thread is about Chameleon herbivory habits, what does that have to do with OPs question on bug nutrition?

Or was it more about the comments section?

If you think that any of our feeders are going to survive on bee pollen alone, well they wont lol.

Petr is talking about Gutloading, in the idea, of feeding them strictly bee pollen the day before feeding (as evidenced by "I catch wild feeders, that have been eating on grass and such and feed them pollen"). Vert is talking about actually raising and keeping alive a colony as far as I read it. These are completely different things. I do love while he bashs other peoples products and gives them funny names, while stating we should be feeding our insects strictly his product. Petr is a partner (Maybe full owner) in a Bee Pollen Company, so there is that....

We moved this convo, off Kaizens blog, as it was not relevant to Kaizens blog. So before you go feeding your insects pure bee pollen, might want to take a look here. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/gutloading-are-we-doing-it-right.173675/
Read what I wrote.

I choose to use fresh fruits and veggies for gutloading which is something you might consider doing.

I’m not familiar with the nutritional contents of butterworms to be able to comment on your second question.

Back
Top Bottom