question

yoshi9

Has anyone ever heard of people planting their plants in the cage? Like using a bin and filling it with soil and then planting inside of the cage?

People do that a lot actually. I did until all the plants kept dying and I just gave up. Just make sure the soil is 100% organic and doesn't have any of those little pearlite balls in it (toxic). Also it's best to cover the soil with large stones (big enough your cham can't eat them), or screen because some chams will eat the soil and it can cause impactions.

i have heard of people doing it, but also have heard its not very clean... the soil holds moisture.witch intends to turn to mold.. also your chams fecies will soak into dirt if you dont clean daily.... just too much bacteria for me...but i agree with ferret cover the dirt ... dirt in a chams digestive system... not good.. good luck..

i have heard of people doing it, but also have heard its not very clean... the soil holds moisture.witch intends to turn to mold.. also your chams fecies will soak into dirt if you dont clean daily.... just too much bacteria for me...but i agree with ferret cover the dirt ... dirt in a chams digestive system... not good.. good luck..
well for the moisture i was going to use a filter typr thing where i would filter the water in the soil into a bucket and i was also thinking about covering it with tile. Carol im making another cage by the way lol its pretty much one giant cage that you cxan put a divider into and have to chameleons in it, :) ill send some pictures when its done if you want!

I do it for my pygmies (obviously), but for my Werner's big enclosure I have several really big pots in there. It's almost solid soil. I find the soil keeps the humidity in nicely, and I've never ever had problems with mold or poop in the soil. My dirt is not covered, but she is cup fed, or sometimes eats her crickets from the leaves. She rarely goes near the bottom as it's a pretty big enclosure for her. Oh, btw, it's not glass.
I've also had sternfeldi in the same enclosure (not with the Werners), and they never went to the bottom to feed in the dirt. The crickets tend to go up, not down.

Oh, forgot. Also had a Flap Neck in a planted glass enclosure. It was planted fully and that worked well for humidity. No mold, no festering poop, no soil ingestion. I've never used substrate with pieces of bark, so *if* soil was ingested it wouldn't be more than a bit of dirt.

thanks everyone for the help :) /my cage should be close to done by tomorrow, if my cham is about 4 months old hes a veiled do you think he would be able to take down a 3/4" dubia roach?

Back
Top Bottom