question

I have 2 big dogs and they're very interested in my panther but i never let them get too close.. One of them sniffed the cage and jumped back when he saw my chameleon. I wouldn't let a dog get too just in case though.

I have a dog and a cat in the same room with my cham 24/7 (I live in a studio apt) and they have no interest in him what so ever. I guess it would depend on the nature of your animals. My dog & cat aren't interested in anything except food and sleep lol. I've even had my cham out and walking around on me with my other animals laying right next to us. They don't even acknowlege him except for when we first sit down then they put their heads back down to sleep some more or get up and leave the area I'm in.

I have 2 big dogs and they're very interested in my panther but i never let them get too close.. One of them sniffed the cage and jumped back when he saw my chameleon. I wouldn't let a dog get too just in case though.

It depends on the dog and level of prey drive. Some dogs, terriers and Dachshunds in particular, have a very high prey drive and most can never be trained to leave a small prey animal alone. That's what they were bred for--to chase and kill vermin--mice, rats, rabbits, badgers and even foxes. Other dogs are not so obvious and appear as if they are ignoring the prey animal and just bide their time until they can get it. Still other dogs are completely safe. I have a pit bull that just quivers when he sees a fawn and will kill any skunk or raccoon (or deer) he can get hold of. He absolutely ignores the free ranging chickens, even guarding them and running to the flock to chase off predators when the roosters start screaming about an attack.

If you have a big dog showing any interest in the chameleon I would think there is a risk they will rip the cage open to get your chameleon.

Aside from that, there is also the stress for the chameleon always seeing a big predator lurking around. A predator that sits and stares at its prey will stress the prey animal a lot, but a predator walking by and ignoring it probably won't. It might or might not be a problem--there is no pat answer, it all depends.

Back
Top Bottom